New Candy Apple Skyhawk Gt2A Build

GoldenMotor.com

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
About 2 months ago I got the bug to build my first 2 stroke motorized bike after seeing engine kits and these oddball frames on ebay... here is the result.
some minor stuff to do yet but getting close.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for joining the forum and for sharing your bike with us.
Your attention to detail is commendable. Very nice job. Congratulations.
Maybe you'll have a short winter and can get the bike out and see how it runs.
Keep us informed.

Tom

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
Nice machine man, that was my color combos also but you took it to the next level with the indian stuff, now i might have to change my paint sceme all together, but the again i could steel that complete idea since after all im in buffalo and your in____________ LOL (NOT REALLY) i wish mine was that close to finished

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
Is that little fire exstinguiser looking thing on the seat tube a boost bottle? Man everytime i see that bike i like it more. Love the look of them two smokes but i cant give up the reliabilty of the four stroke. Wish some one would vtwin a 4stroker. I do plan on undressing all the cooling crap from mine and possibily shinning er up. Does chinese popmetal even shine with polish lol.

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
does this bike have a fire hose?
your bike is really Hot.
if and when I'm done with my BW,I want to do somethn' similar like a Dan Gurney Indy scheme in blue or British Green.
You ride safe now ya hear.

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Is that little fire exstinguiser looking thing on the seat tube a boost bottle? Man everytime i see that bike i like it more. Love the look of them two smokes but i cant give up the reliabilty of the four stroke. Wish some one would vtwin a 4stroker. I do plan on undressing all the cooling crap from mine and possibily shinning er up. Does chinese popmetal even shine with polish lol.
Thanks so much for the compliments guys Its a working brass fire extinguisher ( available on ebay) held on with these cool rubber clamps from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorized-B...ash=item280f2d562f:g:DNUAAOSwT~9WjYdh&vxp=mtr that are made for boost bottles, I told them they work with fire extinguishers too! and sent them a photo.

Yes I agree I wish the 4 strokes looked a bit better installed as they are better in so many ways. I do plan on building a 4 stroke and making it more eye appealing. to get the 2 smoke looking a bit better, I filed the dickens out of the fins, sanded smooth and then edged them with course polishing compound and many dremel polishing cones. Many imperfections still exist but looks better. Lots of work but it can be done. It will oxidize fast and become dull in weeks, but I couldn't believe how bad that cylinder casting is. I am amazed that nobody has reproduced a good casting using better alloy and then CNC milled it true and plated cylinder walls and the whole darn thing. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to do. I'm glad heads were available.
I really want to get info out there so other first time builders do not have to struggle to use this great little and light frame. Its easy once you have built one I suppose and purchased 3 of everything you didn't need. Lots of little tricks depending on what one wants to do. I am not a pedal bike expert and things like head tubes and lower brackets can be a head scratcher for those that have no experience in spokes, pedals, bike hubs, goosenecks, thin chains, chain guards, bike forks, head tubes, bearing races, specialized tools etc. The stuff on a pedal bike is both delicate, lightweight and very specialized. I get carbs, pistons and paint and that's it. Throw a newbie like me a ton of bike jargon and seat tube sizes and I go into a hypnotic state. It is why the Huffy Cranbrook is so popular a platform for a easy transportation build, no decisions or options to at least get you underway. When you build a bike on a bare frame like the Gt2a you have hundreds of decisions to make and its almost overwhelming for a guy like me. (Here is my mild manner rant) Since the Gt2A is really the only frame specifically for all of us in the motorized bike Hobby ( yep I'm sucked in now too)
It should be embraced a bit more and I am surprised it has not yet been
respected as a gift to all the MBRs and at least have its own forum category.
It would allow a list of components that work well and make it much easier for a very affordable build. Yep you can find bits and pieces of info here and there using the search engine, but most of this bike is a complete mystery to build. and many of those bits of info is incomplete, or just plain wrong.
It is amazing what can be done with this blank canvas, with a bit of paint, cheap chrome and some decals. I have not ridden the bike yet, but Jake of Jakes Custom says the bike handles well, is light and strong and Ill take that to the bank. He builds speedy race bikes with the GT whereas ill be happy at 12 mph all day long and get bonus enjoyment in just polishing this light weight motorbike and having it parked right next to my 1/2 ton Harley. So we all have a frame platform that can be Show or Go - Contemporary or Retro so lets make it easier for that to happen for all and get a special forum category. Its also important for the vendors that sponsor this site and sell this frame to suggest parts that they know fit it on there web sites, so we don't have to wonder what fork kit and bearing set will fit it or what petcock actually screws into the fuel bung. Ask me how I know... We really don't want to bother small vendors by phone and or spend hours searching for a darn 5 dollar part , wait a week for a part that may or may not fit a very specific frame. I do realize there are knock offs of this frame and some differences may exist. I plan on another build that hopefully will put this to shame and it should go much faster. Thanks for reading this long post and will provide any info if I can to anyone that needs it building a cool GT. I hope lots more cool Gt's get built, easier and faster!

laff

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
does this bike have a fire hose?
your bike is really Hot.
if and when I'm done with my BW,I want to do somethn' similar like a Dan Gurney Indy scheme in blue or British Green.
You ride safe now ya hear.
Thanks Gooseneck, witty compliments are welcome too. Actually it does should the Chinese motor burst into flames at any point....lol
Yes, the possibilities are endless, hope the finished Candy apple Indian GT2a inspires a few guys like you gooseneck to make there dream theme bike get done. Go with powder coat! Add laminated vinyl decals for secondary colors from any sign shop/ Cost me 135 bucks for powder coat and a powder coat clear on top... but dang is that some tough stuff. I could hardly scratch it with a sharp hobby knife. I'm thinking a baby blue and orange Gulf Racing Theme myself...

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Thanks much its nice to have it seen.

It a working polished brass vintage extinguisher from ebay adding a billet Boost bottle next week/for mainly looks, just waiting for a predrilled manifold to come, the billet intake is too small and while nice quality will make most carbs and mine sit at a 30 degree angle so its worthless. Ill mount it using the round to round clamps on ebay on the opposite side of the fire xtinguisher.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Nice job,,I like all the little details ou have put on the bike...cool bike!!!!!!!!
Thanks Moto, I enjoyed the detailing for sure. Lots of these are built and never painted, people just seem to take advantage f the cool built in gas tank and that's it. here are a few more picts in better light. its -3 today so garage window light is as far as I go.

Attachments

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
These are the handiest clamps for a bike build. Plumbers pipe clamps. they are epoxy covered, colored in a neutral brown and come in a variety of diameters. The flanges are predrilled also. I do not know how they will hold up long term but I used them everywhere. Fenders, lights, chain guards, speedo, etc. yep they worked for everything. They are soft enough to love tap, bend, twirl and will conform to anything. Again they may not hold up. time will tell/ Best of all they are just a little over a buck a piece. Got them at a big box hardware store. Ill do a whole post dedicated to them ASAP.

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Sweet Build.
Great attention to detail and I love the old Indian theme.
Very well done sir.

Yes I agree I wish the 4 strokes looked a bit better installed as they are better in so many ways.
I do plan on building a 4 stroke and making it more eye appealing.
Considering most of these little 4-strokers were designed to be run in place for things like generators, they employed fan blades on the freewheel and ducting around the head to move air, and a little boxy exhaust.

Once removed they look a little better.

I haven't tried it yet, but it should be easy to remove some of the blades from the flywheel to reduce drag as well.

I really want to get info out there so other first time builders do not have to struggle to use this great little and light frame.
Its easy once you have built one I suppose and purchased 3 of everything you didn't need. Lots of little tricks depending on what one wants to do. I am not a pedal bike expert and things like head tubes and lower brackets can be a head scratcher for those that have no experience in spokes, pedals, bike hubs, goosenecks, thin chains, chain guards, bike forks, head tubes, bearing races, specialized tools etc.
Yep, and you don't just need to know bicycles, you need to know how to use the parts with an engine added, which adds another layer to it.

The stuff on a pedal bike is both delicate, lightweight and very specialized. Throw a newbie like me a ton of bike jargon and seat tube sizes and I go into a hypnotic state.
Since the Gt2A is really the only frame specifically for all of us in the motorized bike Hobby ( yep I'm sucked in now too)
It should be embraced a bit more and I am surprised it has not yet been respected as a gift to all the MBRs and at least have its own forum category.

So we all have a frame platform that can be Show or Go - Contemporary or Retro so lets make it easier for that to happen for all and get a special forum category.

Its also important for the vendors that sponsor this site and sell this frame to suggest parts that they know fit it on there web sites, so we don't have to wonder what fork kit and bearing set will fit it or what petcock actually screws into the fuel bung.

I hope lots more cool Gt's get built, easier and faster!
There are multiple Grubee made GT2 gas tank frames.
http://www.grubeeinc.com/BIKES & FRAMES.htm

Plus one new one not on the list, the GT2A-150 which will take tires over 3" wide and it has rear disc brake mount as well V-brake mounts.

Here is the one I just finished.

I just bought one of those Fito Modena's the first build pic and used it's parts to flesh out the GT2 frame build.

My system is a 4-stroke shifter so not a real common choice, but as a vendor here of 4-stroke shifter parts and authorized disturber of genuine Grubee parts I have every intention of creating and offering all kinds of more custom stuff including this years production of yet another GT2 bike frame version like the GT2A-150 we designed last year.

I say 'we' as in a few of us collaborated with Don Grube last year to get this new frame built and to the US.

All fun stuff, and expect more, specifically a new GT2 frame for 4-stroke direct drive or my 10G shift system.

A GT2 frame sub-forum would be cool for whatever power plant you use so more people can build pieces of art like your build!

Again, really fine work man ;-}

http://motorbicycling.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Absolutely Great Detailing ! I'm so stuck on the details I didn't even read anything did you do any special engine mods.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Thanks KC, I've admired your work. Those are some solid builds, something I have yet to learn. You have really mastered the mechanics and safety to an amazing level! Off topic but...Too bad someone haven't made a simple clamp and screw on hub adapter for standard hubs for installing the disc brakes. Having to get new disc brake hubs laced on to rims you want is certainly a PITA.
Anyhow the picts of your builds KC are amazing and I admire the engineering and pioneering you have done. The new GT frame version sounds exciting. When will it be available?
Any tips KC on getting a real Skyhawk frame? One would think a knock off would of been too costly to undertake.
is there more than one knock off of the GT2 series frame? I know I and others would love to hear more history on this unique frame. At any rate would be awesome if we can get it in a sub form category with some stickies ,we can populate with exact data on parts that will fit and what vendors offer what.
Thanks again KC for all you do for the hobby.