AutoBike Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
next build is on the go.
here i have an AutoBike Cruiser. it is auto shifting dependent on Centrifugal force.
just ordered jackshaft and extras from SBP.
Using a Cheez pk80 66cc engine.

i will need to be reducing the weights of the shifting mechanism so that the chain doesn't fly off or get mangled due to shifting too fast.

Attachments

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
wow, thats awesome LR.
when i first got the bike someone had mentioned your autoshift. i had a look at it.
looks great!

getting jackshaft kit tomorrow, its sitting at po. can get things kinda set up and rolling!! :)

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
interesting!
didnt realize anyone had documented an attempt at motorizing an Autobike.
he did an amazing job. but he also left the gearing stock.
i find the shifting fast even for pedaling. I will be reducing the weights to shift at appropriate speeds according to the engine.

there is also another 2 ppl on the FB groups that are attempting Autobikes.
between the 3 of us, we have all 3 frame styles. cruiser, female mtb, and male mtb.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
On the LandRider derailleur there's a cadence adjustment screw. Does the Autobike have anything like that? The LR derailleur has 3 tension control springs. 2 are vertical and 1 horizontal. The cadence screw varies the tension in the horizontal spring. The horizontal spring can also be tightened 180° too. The tighter this spring the higher the speed needed to make it change gears. On my bike I also found B indexing the derailleur as far forward as you can helps with the downshifting when climbing steep hills. Tweaking the throttle and pedaling also smooths out the shifting. You may find the need to tighten the jockey pully arm (vertical) spring. To do this you'll have to drill holes for it. This helps to keep the chain from coming off the small rear sprockets. Check the rear axle also. It may need to be replaced with a cromolly axle. The factory one on the LandRider bent on my second ride. I now use a Staton Inc hub and had David design me a rear axle which uses sleeves to hold it in place instead of external retainer rings. My preferred bicycle chain is a SRAM 890.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=58426&highlight=Broken+Axle

Last edited:

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
no, the auto bike doesnt shift "by" the derailleur.
it shifts by centrifugal force. the rear wheel has weights connected to a couple of arms that are rigged to a steel black ring, that pushes the derailleur.
faster you go, further the weights go out, shifts to higher gears to compensate for speed... so your not pedaling at million miles an hour.
but personally, i find it shifts too fast even for pedaling. so i need to reduce the weights to compensate for the fast acceleration of the engine.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
also, it is not a standard derailleur.
a normal derailleur pulls to the higher(smaller) gears, the Autobike derailleur pulls to the lower(larger) gears.
but does have min/max settings as per a normal derailleur, and looks like a normal derailleur.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
That's a high low screw for setting the lateral movement. What you could do is somehow attach contraction springs to the weights. Then it'll take more centrifugal force to push the weights out. The springs will have attach to the bottom of the weights and hub.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
All multi rear sprocket bikes shift by means of a derailleur. The autoshift bikes use centrifugal force instead of a cable or a electric signal to move the derailleur arm.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
no no .. nothing about hi or low.
there is screws for that, but thats not what im talking about.

springs.... DAM!! good idea!! never thought about that! .

ill get a video of the derailleur on the weekend, i have 2, so i can see what i mean.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Couldn't really tell from the video but is there some kind of spring in the back which pulls the weights back to the center? Also the spring in the lateral arm can be tightened 180°. You'll have to loosen the pins on the swivel head which holds the jockey pully arm. To turn the spring a 180°.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
there is a small spring in the mechanism arms, but is non-adjustable. only other spring is in the derailleur itself.

not sure what your talking about.. turn what 180 degrees?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
You have a total of two springs in the derailleur. One is a vertical movement spring. The other is a lateral movement spring. The vertical spring controls the jockey pully arm. Is there any springs in the mechanism itself to pull the weights back to the center of the hub?

The lateral spring is the one which has the high low screws next to it. This is the spring that you can tighten by putting a 180° twist in it. You have two pins which is the pivot point for the jockey pulley arm. You'll have to remove the pin that the spring is attached to. Then you can put 180° twist in the spring to tighten it. The LR derailleur uses E rings to hold these pins in. Since yours is bradded in you'll have to make a new pin. A hobby shop metal lathe could make pins with grooves for E rings. Or you could use a small nail tread the ends with a die and use small nuts with Loctite. It's the lateral spring that has a cadence adjustment screw on it on the LR derailleur. The tension can be adjusted.

Here's what's happening with your derailleur the vertical spring adjust for the gear size and chain tension. The lateral spring controls the speed the gears change at. As centrifugal force pulls the weights out the plate pushes the chain to the right which is being met by an opposing force of the lateral spring. As the centrifugal force becomes less the lateral spring force pushes the chain back to the left.

Other things which will help is tightening the jockey pulley arm spring and B indexing the derailleur forward. I'll make you a video to better explain some of this stuff.

Last edited: