Carb bowl or base warped?

GoldenMotor.com

Shorty Frog

May 24, 2014
USA east coast
hey all, ive got a 66/80cc chinagirl, had for 2 months, had constant issues. first after less than a week my magneto died, a week after gettin the mag replaced the cdi wire boot vibed loose, lost brass retainer and spring-clip. swapped for a bosch plug end off a old chevy. 3 weeks later the front left mount stud snapped off while riding, lock nuts come loose, almost lost front mount clamp and rear come loose too, strapped it on with dog lead-wire(braided run-cable for pets) and limped 4 miles home. fuel tank vibrates gas out as i ride if i fill it ANYWHERE near full. now the carb been leaking gas from day 1, and now its worse, tried 2 gaskets and made 2 more to no avail. it appears the bowl teeters on the carb base, as if one is warped..bowl has been checked and is "square" at the rim area. carb body i havent checked yet. its the standard speed carb on the $150 eBay kits. i have so many issues idk what thread to add them all to, hence my threads seeming "rambly", so sry bout that. also had fuel flow issues;run great at start to 2/3 and at last 20%(wot) it seemed to bog bad,drilled larger jet=epic fail. soldered it closed as 2Door describes in a post. drilled smaller jet and is when i realised why a tank of gas(2L) was gone in 30-90 minutes sittin or ridin if i didnt cut off tank cock(bad seat on carb/bowl.. so now i cant test smaller jet. idk where to start guys, and noone in the area here is hip to these bikes...no dang body. I am in NC, sea level approx., maybe 100ft at most above. run 93 octane at about 25:1mix. all counrty driving, 2-10 miles per trip, not daily yet cus i dont wanna walk back...Any comments, about anything is greatly valued mates.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Take a close look at the hinge pin where the float swings. That pin, if not positioned correctly can extend out and into the gasket sealing area. It isn't held in by anything and can slide until the bowl is secured then the pin can't move.

Tom

Shorty Frog

May 24, 2014
USA east coast
Ok, checked the pin for sliding as i installed the bowl and it stays, even took all the guts out and had the 2 pieces on the bench. used a file for an edge, bowl was fine, areas i could get the wide file on indicated the flange what one of the screws go on was bent...so i applied a hammer to it til it co-operated (less than 1/8" gap at high spot) and used a hand-cut paper filter from a '73 pontiac engine gasket kit i had in a shed. seems to have worked. but i still have a issue on fuel/air maybe, lose power at uphill approach, runs alot better at WoT but still seems to be a real 2 stroke winding up goin down long country hills. soldered jet shut, redrilled smaller this time: was original, went larger 1 step, shut, now down to .026 i think, was .028, went to .031 and was horrible, like was flooding. needle i'm still moving around so nothings final yet as an official "all i could do, so wat now", but i been looking at crmachine.com head kits and reed valves and after mkt. delorto or spin-off brand style carbs, the head kit is like $180, a carb is, well, ya'll know...so i'ma end up with another $200 bucks or so in stuff so this bike will do 30mph on flat ground, or just for the fact that its not running right or tuneable for even its acknowledged potential? the block and all the "crappy" stuff like grips, cables and all are actually fine. just something top-end/caruretion it seems thus far.

:-||