Where can I buy curved chain tensioner that attaches to upper & lower rear wheel arm?

GoldenMotor.com

johnsoma

Jun 14, 2014
Philadelphia
Anyone know where I can buy that curved chain tensioner that connects to the rear wheel upper and lower support arm and has a slidable wheel guide that you can adjust to any height along that curve?
Thanks,
Mike

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: Where can I buy curved chain tensioner that attaches to upper & lower rear wheel

Someone will have a link for you. I know there is at least one manufacturer that makes them. They span the seat and chain stay and is by far the best way to mount a tensioner, if you absolutely have to use one.

I've made several using 1/8" by 1" steel flat stock. I used a Bridgport mill to machine the slot then welded the bracket to the frame. A couple I heated and bent giving them a slighty curved shape.

Someone once suggested using an old alternator brack from a GM car. I never tried that but it looks like it should work if you have access to a welder.

Tom

johnsoma

Jun 14, 2014
Philadelphia
Re: Where can I buy curved chain tensioner that attaches to upper & lower rear wheel

How do you like it versus the stock one? My stock tensioner keeps sliding up the support rail when I run the bike.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

How do you like it versus the stock one? My stock tensioner keeps sliding up the support rail when I run the bike.
Mike,

If the tensioner wheel is trying to move, either up or down, that is a good indication that the wheel isn't aligned with the chain path. As you might have read here before, the stock tensioner bracket will usually need to be bent/twisted just a little to align the centerline of the tensioner wheel with the center of the chain. If it is cocked in either direction it will put a lateral drag against the chain and that can account for premature wheel wear as well as stress on the bracket. If the tensioner wheel is aligned it should run smoothly and shouldn't try to move on you.

This alignment issure will also be there with the tensioner bracket you're looking for. It does support the wheel better and there's less chance of the bracket rotating into the spokes but some adjustment might be necessary to get the wheel to line up with the chain properly. A slight twist might be called for.

Tom