Old Dyno - New Forks

GoldenMotor.com

OC-CA

Aug 26, 2013
Calif
Thanks, everyone. Ordered clamps for a vertical mount, a Suntour thread less fork, and supporting stuff. Still got to decide on wheels. I do plan to go with a disc up front and one of Sportsman's 3 piece sprocket adapters and sprocket. So I am searching for slightly above average wheels now that are strong. Possibly custommotoredbikes wheel set. I really would like to look down and see a double walled alloy set up front and rear though.

I intend to go with a AGC jack shaft and their clutch (for now). If my easy riding is too much for that clutch, I will upgrade later. I have seen some great posts for in frame tanks which I will tackle nearer the end of this project. Perhaps I might come across a completed one? I see all the little stuff is what takes time to complete a nice build. Let me know if anyone sees anything wrong with this intended direction.

My youngest just finished his first build and will be taking it to UCLA next week for school transportation as he starts his 3rd year and will now be living off campus.

Thanks for all your encouragement. Kinda makes ya feel at home.

Tom

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
sounds great --i hope you will be a willow springs tomorrow for the oval racing

it will be nice to meet you

and you can meet as bunch of the attendees --check their bikes etc.

Last edited:

OC-CA

Aug 26, 2013
Calif
Excited to get going on this build. But what do I hear? "Not so fast there, buddy!" The frame Dyno Glide frame is stripped, suspension fork is here now as is a headset. I couldn't figure out the adaption as the head set sits on top of the head tube. I go to my local bike shop. The head tube measured 1.257 ID and the steerer tube measured 1.125 OD. They say a no go. Ok, so a challenge needs to be met.

The headset from one of the first few posts is what I ordered. A bmx with 45 degree bevels for seating surfaces top and bottom. Do I find a 45 degree countersink and ream the head tube so the head set has a partial seating surface and would be centered? PM me, Norm, if there is a trick you use to mate all this stuff. Beers on me!

If I knew a machinist, I could get some adapter sleeves machined perhaps. My search here in the archives has been fruitless as I probably am not using the right criteria. At this pont any help will be most welcome.

Thanks for your help and guidance as I see a lot of Dynos with threadless front shocks.

Tom

OC-CA

Aug 26, 2013
Calif
What do you say about this? Use the original bearing cups in the head tube. The bmx head set seems to center in the empty cups and the steerer tube fits thru all items and centers everything up nicely. Has anyone done this before? I could pack some filler (jB Weld or similar) in the empty cups for a wider mating surface. Is this a viable option?

Last edited:

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
never offer norm beers

I did that once and it took many months to recover some semblance of cordiality

time is money!!!!!!
we all have our responsibilities$$$$
cash and carry is best????