Fun while it lasted

GoldenMotor.com

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Well, my cruiser project was a whole lot of fun for about 10 minutes today. I got a thumb throttle, a real clutch lever, a gas cap that works, new fuel shutoff and line, flopped the bars down and figured out how to make a layback seatpost out of an old mountain bike bar end. I had it out running down the road for about 10 minutes in much more solid form than it's first rides. Felt good. And then the motor seized. Managed to keep it upright as I skidded to a stop. It wasn't just the chain bucking up into the gear. Some crap washed through the carb and tore up the cylinder and piston pretty bad, and gas was pouring out of the intake. so the cylinder and piston are toast, I took off the bowl of the carb and it was full of corrosion and particles of rust and gunk. In hindsight, I should have disassembled the carb before ever running this thing. I know nothing about the life this motor led before I got it for $30 bike and all, heavily used. I don't really see the point in replacing this by parts, it needs enough that I might as well just buy a new kit motor if I'm going to keep on this. Pondering options. This is what it looked like right before I tore apart the cylinder.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Next time before you do anything, flush and clean the fuel tank then install an in-line fuel filter. That will keep the trash out of the carburetor.

As for "some crap washed through the carburetor", I doubt that is what caused your engine to fail. My guess would be that the previous owner didn't use the right fuel to oil ratio or he ran the heck out of the engine. There's no way anything big enough to damage the piston and cylinder got through the main jet of the carb. It had to be something inside the engine that let go. Bearings or piston rings would be my guess.

Tom

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
The crap in the main jet may have restricted the flow enough to lean it out and fry the piston. The junk in the cylinder is probably piston fragments.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Haha, yeah, I was using mixed gas 32:1. 2door, now that you mention it, of course that makes a lot of sense, nothing big would fit through. I had flushed the tank, it was pretty much ok, whatever was in the carb didn't appear to have come from the tank, though I hadn't put on a new filter yet. Looked like a white powdery corrosion that had build up down in the carb bowl. The rings were fine and I couldn't see any hunks missing from anything, but something had definitely come off in there, there was particulate matter in around the walls of the cylinder and it had dug in enough to send this one to the scrap pile. Dead is dead though, so I'm starting to think about a new 4-stroke kit instead.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Well, I'm going to give this little unit one more try before completely replacing it. Lower end seems OK, and I've been having too much fun to quit now. Just ordered up a new cylinder, piston/rings, gaskets, carb, and fuel filter for about 60 bones. I also noticed looking at pics of NT carbs that mine was actually missing the idle screw, which explains why I couldn't keep it idling :) I'm starting from 0 knowledge on these things, so I don't always know when parts are missing, LOL. Thanks for the feedback dudes.