I'm Pickin up Good Vibrations

GoldenMotor.com

mdschurtz

Jun 16, 2013
Greenville, NC
now that I think about it... I'm having a problem with my clutch lever pulling up after short rides. Any reason this is happening?

Edit: On my ride into work today, The clutch arm and assembly popped out! did something fall off that is supposed to go in the little groove on the clutch camshaft?

This piece here: http://www.pistonbikes.com/product-p/epcl27.htm

Last edited:

mdschurtz

Jun 16, 2013
Greenville, NC
about to leave work today and the cap broke on me so I unscrewed it and put the wire directly on to the spark plug. worked well enough to get me home. now I wanna upgrade my ignition. any suggestions? Jaguar?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Be careful digging the wire out so you don't damage the screw post securing the wire. Some twist out easily, some newer ones are glued into the cdi. If yours is glued, jusr carefully dig it out and screw the car wire in.
Oh yeah, you will need the little screw on adapter for the top of the plug that the stock kit parts makes you remove. (Good time for a new plug anyway!)

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
now that I think about it... I'm having a problem with my clutch lever pulling up after short rides. Any reason this is happening?

Edit: On my ride into work today, The clutch arm and assembly popped out! did something fall off that is supposed to go in the little groove on the clutch camshaft?

This piece here: http://www.pistonbikes.com/product-p/epcl27.htm
The cam is held in the clutch actuator cover by a small, about 3/32" pin. That pin can either be epoxied in or the top of the hole it goes in might be peened over. Either way it isn't uncommon for that pin to fall out allowing the cam to left out of the cover.

Remove the cover and you'll see where the pin is supposed to go. You can make a new one with a piece of 3/32" steel and secure it back in the hole. The cam can be removed by rotating it about 180 degrees and pulling it out. Install it the same way in reverse. The pin aligns with a groove in the cam.

Tom

mdschurtz

Jun 16, 2013
Greenville, NC
The cam is held in the clutch actuator cover by a small, about 3/32" pin. That pin can either be epoxied in or the top of the hole it goes in might be peened over. Either way it isn't uncommon for that pin to fall out allowing the cam to left out of the cover.

Remove the cover and you'll see where the pin is supposed to go. You can make a new one with a piece of 3/32" steel and secure it back in the hole. The cam can be removed by rotating it about 180 degrees and pulling it out. Install it the same way in reverse. The pin aligns with a groove in the cam.

Tom
I realized this once I took it apart. So what I did what get a small bolt and nut and drilled through the side of the cover and placed it through the new hole. works perfect and the nut has the plastic on the inside to prevent it from backing out.

mdschurtz

Jun 16, 2013
Greenville, NC
or do you think it's due to not having barely any back pressure in my system? I've tried the top 3 needle positions and it seems to run the best on the 2nd from the top

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
How many miles on your engine?
These china girls need a few hundred miles before they run consistently. I'd leave tuning till after it's well broken-in.
By the way, most of my builds also like the needle in the second slot from the top.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Hey everyone! Did you notice? Our friend mdschurtz here developed an issue (I've had that particular one myself) and asked about it on the forum. But while waiting on an answer he also investigated on his own and worked out a solution on his own.

Good job!

Won't be long before you're helping the newbies.

mdschurtz

Jun 16, 2013
Greenville, NC
How many miles on your engine?
These china girls need a few hundred miles before they run consistently. I'd leave tuning till after it's well broken-in.
By the way, most of my builds also like the needle in the second slot from the top.
Not too many many on it yet. but i'm working on it. I think I've finally got the bike into a reliable spot.

Hey everyone! Did you notice? Our friend mdschurtz here developed an issue (I've had that particular one myself) and asked about it on the forum. But while waiting on an answer he also investigated on his own and worked out a solution on his own.

Good job!

Won't be long before you're helping the newbies.
Thanks man, Alot of how I figure stuff out is reading through alot of threads here. gotta learn learning from others mistakes (while making a few of your own along the way).