Rutledge A50 and Rutledge Super Six

GoldenMotor.com

davidberg

Dec 22, 2012
Hungary
Hi folks!

I've came a long way since I started tinkering with 50ccm engines last year. Now I'm proudly present my bikes in eventual form: the Rutledge A50 (the black one) and the Rutledge Super Six racer (the red one).

Also big thanks to all you folks for your help and and constant cheer!
Any comments are more than welcome!

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I like the way you put together the forks. What is the cylinder behind the seat tube on the super six? Is it functional?

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
David!! Thats exceptional work! Fantastic! May I ask particulars of how you modified and power the carbide lamp on the black bike?

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
For what it's worth, I think I did about the same with this headlight. Picked it up at auction for $30. Cleaned it up and took out the innards. Found a flashlight with a lense that would fit. Cut the top off a spraycan lid so I had a cylinder and glued the reflector to it. Ran the wire out the back, drilled a hole in the rear of the lantern and ran it to a 6 volt rechargable battery under the seat.

I soldered a battery box together with a hinged lid, mounted a toggle off/on switch to the box and bolted it under the seat. Works great. Hope it might be of some help.
Dan

Attachments

davidberg

Dec 22, 2012
Hungary
I like the way you put together the forks. What is the cylinder behind the seat tube on the super six? Is it functional?
Hehe, it's disfunctional... It's an old beer warmer (in England and other beer-drinking countries warm ale was a popular winter drink when heated on its own or mulled with spice and sugar) like this: http://www.oldandinteresting.com/ale-warmers.aspx
I've found it at a flea market and it was in such a great condition and looked like a vintage oil pump I decided to find a place for it on the bike -- just for the looks ;)

davidberg

Dec 22, 2012
Hungary
For what it's worth, I think I did about the same with this headlight. Picked it up at auction for $30. Cleaned it up and took out the innards. Found a flashlight with a lense that would fit. Cut the top off a spraycan lid so I had a cylinder and glued the reflector to it. Ran the wire out the back, drilled a hole in the rear of the lantern and ran it to a 6 volt rechargable battery under the seat.

I soldered a battery box together with a hinged lid, mounted a toggle off/on switch to the box and bolted it under the seat. Works great. Hope it might be of some help.
Dan
Tinsmith, that's a great work and a beautiful bike!

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Thanks David, these things sure are a lot of fun and thanks for taking the time to show what you have been up to.

Dan

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
Watch that springer front end on the red one. The bolt can't take the angular forces and will break, as I found out. Your front end will collapse catastrophically(sp?)

davidberg

Dec 22, 2012
Hungary
Watch that springer front end on the red one. The bolt can't take the angular forces and will break, as I found out. Your front end will collapse catastrophically(sp?)
Thanks for warning, but belive me or not, the springer doesn't funtion!
I quickly found out that cheap China springer forks are simply garbage... had a test ride, and it wobbled and stretched soooo much that almost cracked apart when I pedalled moderately - without engine!

So I took it to pieces and connected its main tubes flipped inside out to the springer mechanism. It looked so bold I decided to leave it as is (you can see the brake pins on the flipped forks). So it's basically just sits on the bicycle fork and does no damping. In the future I think I'll make a leafspring fork out of scratch, but now it's adequate for street use

davidberg

Dec 22, 2012
Hungary
Just noticed the bar clamps on the red one. Whered you find those??? Looks neat!
They are the upper parts of standard motorbike handlebar risers. I need 4 of them for a side, two set of them clamp the handlebars and they are bolted together. They are a quick 'n dirty fix for a classic Indian racing handlebar configuration...