Inspirational Pix

GoldenMotor.com

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Redditch [UK] and Reichenau [Saxony ]
Just finding my way round the site now. So how about Other People's bikes that might inspire us ?

I have a portfolio of pictures taken from various magazines and sources which I often refer to for detailed ideas - like the Golden Brown bike. I subscribe to German and French magazines which feature bikes that we might otherwise not see.

Also handy when I'm thinking of doing something specific and can't quite visualise it.

I'll kick off with this one - courtesy of German magazine "Custombike".

Bike is by "Thunderbike" and the chef is Andreas Berger.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
You want some of those breeches? OK, here's what you do. First, kill your elk. Then.....

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Here's one I hope you guys are inspired to solve the make of. The people on the bike are my uncle Doug and my mother at 17. She will be 101 at Christmas. Photo was taken in Hampton in Arden outside of Birmingham in 1928.
Mom can't think of the name but she believes the bike wasn't made for many years but that is no sure thing.

Bike wasn't around long after Granddad talked Grandma into a ride and they took an inpromtu trip through the ditch. A few hours for Grandad at the local pub up the road weighed pretty heavy on the trip according to Mom.
Any help would be great. We never thought to ask our Granddad what it was when we were kids.

Please click on the photo to enlarge it.

Steve.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Hampton is just up the road from me, and between Birmingham and Coventry. Without further research, I'd go for a 500 Triumph right now.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ludwig,
I knew you would be here with the answer but not that quickly. You continue to amaze.
My Granddad was a tool and die maker with Wandsworth Electric in Birmingham. He worked on the Titanic when the company installed the power generating plant.
When he moved to Canada he was the factory supervisor/foreman.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I have come to the conclusion it is possibly an AJS, given the visible A on the crankcase, but apart from that, no idea at all. You might want to research images of British motorcycles between the years 1917 and 1925.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Redditch [UK] and Reichenau [Saxony ]
I'll dig out some old referrence books tomorrow and see what I can find.

Strangely I was driving through Hampton-in Arden [ 15 miles away ] at the weekend on my way to Stratford on Avon for the SUnday morning bike meet.
I'm assuming this "Phantom" id not the same as those advertised hereabouts ?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Beach, do you go to the Waterman? Not been myself, although I've been past it loads.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Eddy, I'm 4 miles from the National Motorcycle Museum as well. You'd love it. My personal favourites are the "pistol grip" New Imperials, the nickname comes from the shape of the tanks. Imagine a Sportster single, but leaner and made in 1935 (although there's the Brooklands 500 V twin as well).