New guy from San Diego

GoldenMotor.com

Bohemian

Nov 16, 2011
San Diego
Hey guys I'm a college student down in San Diego and a few months ago I decided I would try my hand at building MB's to sell - try to pay for school and rent. I've bought a few "f80" kits from dax and started strapping them to Micargi Bikes. I've run into my fair share of problems with mounting and such and I believe I've got most of the kinks worked out in my setup.

I just started using the Hub adapter from Pirate and while installing it I decided to cut the 415 chain to fit without the tensioner, as I felt it (the tensioner) was the weakest link on the bike, and simply adjust the tension by moving the back tire. I'm using the tensioner on the pedal chain instead as its rarely used and it just made more sense to me. My question to you guys is, is there a reason why nobody else does this?

Another question to you guys is what do you do about tire clearence with the chain? running a 2.25" tire didnt work so I resorted to running a 1.75 but it looks a little strange and having to replace all of the tires on bikes that I build only adds to my production costs.

Any help I can get from you guys would be great. Heres a picture of my first bike before deciding to play with the chains

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Welcome to the forum (^) I build 4-stroke bikes in San Diego and I prefer the tensioner on the pedal drive side as well, if one is even needed.

I'm running 2.5" Maxxis Hookworms on my bikes and have no clearance issues as I have my wheels built to where they are centered perfectly. If the chain is gonna rub on anything, it's better on the stays than on the sidewalls of the tire.

You can use wider hubs and spread the seat/chain stays for more clearance or just run narrower tires if ya have to.

Cheers!

dnut