Newbie!

GoldenMotor.com

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Hey everybody, I'm Chase and I may be the youngest member here. I'm 16, and I just got started with Motorized Bikes!

I have an old boardtrack, rat rod style bike with a 66cc skyhawk engine. I have been having a few problems when it idles and when I hit full throttle, it bogs down then after about 10 seconds hit revs back up, might have to take the carb apart and clean it. And it needs brakes haha, for now I'm usin the feet.

Since I'm 16 I don't have my license yet so I've been biking to work. Now I'll be riding this to work! Can't wait to see the look on my boss's face! Pictures of the bike up soon!

YRR
-Chase
dnut

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You're not the youngest. We have a couple younger than you.
Like the man said, don't ride that bike without brakes. It sounds as if you need to concentrate a little more on the bike instead of how the engine runs. Spend some time/money and get some brakes then go through the wheel bearings and steering gear to make sure your bike is safe then we'll try to help you with the power problems.
You're young and a new member. We don't want you to get hurt.
Tom

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Welcome, the answers are all here.

These little motors can surprise you, so definately get the bike mechanically sound before you do anything.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
What has it got now? Once you've made your third post (I think) the board will let you attach pics, then you can show us what it's set up for.

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
The guy I got it from took the old caster rim setup off god only knows why, it's just a freewheel rear. I was thinking about putting center pulls on it but how would I mount them? I'll post pictures in the morning.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Brakes can be added many different ways. Pictures from you will help us help you on that subject. Morning sounds good!
As for your throttle issue, do you just quickly twist the throttle to wide open position straight from an idle or do you smoothly roll it on?
If you quickly twist it, these carburetors can take a few moments to catch up with that kind of demand. They do not have an accelerator pump. For the most part, they do not respond well like a motorcycle carb can.

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
As for your throttle issue, do you just quickly twist the throttle to wide open position straight from an idle or do you smoothly roll it on?
If you quickly twist it, these carburetors can take a few moments to catch up with that kind of demand. They do not have an accelerator pump. For the most part, they do not respond well like a motorcycle carb can.
No, I slowly accelerate.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Well then, my first guess is your gas cap is not venting properly.

Edit: It also could be that your petcock is not flowing enough fuel through it, or the screen inside the tank is partially plugged up.
If you are not using an in line fuel filter I highly recommend using one. The stock petcock screens are best removed as they are notorious for causing problems and an inline filter give you the best protection from debris blocking the carburetor float valve and fuel jets.

Last edited: