First Project, am I doing this right?

GoldenMotor.com

unclesam

Aug 2, 2011
Annapolis, Maryland
[/FONT]

Hey Guys brand new member here, I've got a project bike that I have been working on as time and school permits for about the last year. Done some big mods since I bought it including new cns carb, expansion pipe (wrapped in header tape for safety), new throttle, and my hardest project mod to date, the hd shifter kit. Almost done with the shifter kit project just need to put some finishing touches like a new air fliter that will fit with the u bolts being there, and new bike pedals. Before this project I had no hands on mechanical knowledge and this has been a really fun learning experience. This seems like a positive forum and i'm willing to learn anything on how to make my build better. Here are some pictures that you can go off of and if you have any suggestions I will try my best to incorporate them in my build. I have a lot of spare time this week so I hope to get the bike running by the end of the week. I wanna hear from you guys
so post away!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Sam, welcome.

Your bike looks great.
I agree, these really are a great and fun way to learn wrenching and the folks here are awesome. Always ready to lend a hand with information and support. If ya get a chance, try to make one of the rallys or group rides. Really fun and amazing how much information ya can pick up. If none are set up near ya, just post in the events section.

If I may be so bold, I find knobby tires add vibration but some folks prefer em. Personal choice thing.

Have you seen the classic instruction section? Classic Instructions for Building and Repairing Motorized Bicycle Engine Kits - Motorized Bicycle: Engine Kit Forum Big time help if ya get stuck on any thing.

Again welcome. Ride safe and post lots of pics!

unclesam

Aug 2, 2011
Annapolis, Maryland
I changed my tires but i'm having problems with the throttle, Dan. I can't find a post telling me how to tighten up my throttle. There is tons of movement before the needle even thinks of moving in the cns and I have to have the throttle 3/4 to whole way open or the bike will stall. I just need some help.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Have you tried taking out the slack in the throttle cable with the adjusters at each end of the cable at the handle and at the carb? Best thing to do is try the throttle while holding the carb so that you can see into it to see if the barrel is lifting as you make adjustments.

I had a hard time getting mine to run with the Speed NT carb at first, now I've learned it's all in letting the engine idle and warm up. It takes less than a half a minute of idling before I can switch from closed to wide open and go. I usually start with a short trip down the back lane in the opposite direction, start up, idle through my u-turn, hit the choke and go. (It also gives me a longer running start at the hill up to the street).