Aloha

GoldenMotor.com

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Howzit bruddah shreds. Welcome to the forums and good luck with your Onyx build. Watch out for that traffic back on O'ahu, it can be pretty brutal!

ShredsDaily

Jun 12, 2011
Oahu
Yeh I ride the waves here. Some bombs on the north shore.

Im relaxin on the east side, Kahuku. Rains a bit, the mormons just installed a wide paved bike path across the whole stretch of road along gunstock ranch. its a straight shot to foodland.
Also will use the bike to get around the property I live on. Probably put it on bus and cruise the north shore bike path too.
Great looking forum, glad I found yall

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My friend Hawaii Ed and I started a circle-island ride in 2009. So far we rode west, from Sandy Beach to Ka'ena Point. Then we carried our bikes thru the park and cruised from Yokohama Bay to Kapolei. We should be finishing our Oahu ride by cruising from Aloha Stadium to Haleiwa, thru Kahuku to Kaneohe, Kailua, Waimanalo, Sandy's to Waikiki and back to Aloha Stadium.

I'll let you know when we cruise thru Kahuku town.xct2

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Didn't spend too much time up in Kahuku but used to kitesurf at Hukilau Beach a fair bit. Nice and quiet up there. Nice to hear they have a bike path now.

Are you able to carry your bike around Kaena Pt? I seem to remember the road was completely washed out in one section and you had to climb the cliff there. Would be challenging with a mb. Watch out also for the road between Ala Moana and Hawaii Kai. I got hit by a car on Diamond Head Road, and a buddy got creamed by a car in Aina Haina. I've also witnessed tons of moped vs. car accidents in Waikiki.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Didn't spend too much time up in Kahuku but used to kitesurf at Hukilau Beach a fair bit. Nice and quiet up there. Nice to hear they have a bike path now.

Are you able to carry your bike around Kaena Pt? I seem to remember the road was completely washed out in one section and you had to climb the cliff there. Would be challenging with a mb. Watch out also for the road between Ala Moana and Hawaii Kai. I got hit by a car on Diamond Head Road, and a buddy got creamed by a car in Aina Haina. I've also witnessed tons of moped vs. car accidents in Waikiki.
Since my bike weighed over 100 lbs., Hawaii Ed and I had to push my cruiser thru miles of deep sand in Ka'ena Point Park. Yes, the west end's road is STILL completely washed out. It took two of us to carry my bike up the cliffside to avoid the washout. While up there, I told Ed that we would drop my bike down the cliff into the ocean, if we were to lose our balance and the heavy bike was pulling us over the cliffside.

To ride safely on the two-laned Diamond Head, you might want to ride up to 5 mph over the speed limit. Cars on Kalanianaole Highway drive up to 45 mph in the 35 mph speed zone. There are many driveways along that highway, which makes this long road very hazardous.

People drive crazy in Waikiki, so we just drive straight thru on Kalakaua Avenue. When passing the police substation in Ala Moana Park and Waikiki, I ALWAYS ghost pedal past those places.

If you can keep up with traffic, sometimes the safest lane is furthest from the right curb. On Kalani Hwy, because of the high speeds, it might be safest in the bike lane(where there IS one) or the curb lane.

No hassles from cops. I ALWAYS ghost pedal in every intersections, and when I see HPD.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I've seen some crazy things on the dirt road to Kaena Pt: Once I saw a tourist couple that made it all the way to the washout (from the Makaha side) in a Cadillac convertible. How they got that far I'll never know. Another time there was a motorcycle abandoned in the crevace at the washout. Had to be a lot of alcohol involved in that one.

My hat's off to anyone who bicycles on O'ahu. After I was hit that ended it for me. If I'm on the road there I want as much steel around me as possible... a Sherman tank or Brinks truck come to mind. ;)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I've seen some crazy things on the dirt road to Kaena Pt: Once I saw a tourist couple that made it all the way to the washout (from the Makaha side) in a Cadillac convertible. How they got that far I'll never know. Another time there was a motorcycle abandoned in the crevace at the washout. Had to be a lot of alcohol involved in that one.

My hat's off to anyone who bicycles on O'ahu. After I was hit that ended it for me. If I'm on the road there I want as much steel around me as possible... a Sherman tank or Brinks truck come to mind. ;)
The bottom of that Caddy musta been all buss up, lol.

I like riding in Honolulu. My five-mile commute takes me from Aloha Stadium to Waiakamilo Road, near Pier 31.

Commuting to work is like a 25-minute amusement ride, one in the morning and one at day's end.

When claiming the lane, cars behind me give me PLENTY of room. I think they're afraid I'll fall. They don't want to run over me at 35 mph.xct2

If you bike at speeds below the speed limit AND on the edge of the road, cars here will "herd" you off the road.:-||

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Yeh I ride the waves here. Some bombs on the north shore.

Im relaxin on the east side, Kahuku. Rains a bit, the mormons just installed a wide paved bike path across the whole stretch of road along gunstock ranch. its a straight shot to foodland.
Also will use the bike to get around the property I live on. Probably put it on bus and cruise the north shore bike path too.
Great looking forum, glad I found yall
I passed that bike path today. Across Malaekahana Beach, right?

Too bad that path doesn't go from Kahuklu to Sandy's. :-||

ShredsDaily

Jun 12, 2011
Oahu
Yup, thats right 5-7. streetlights hit the path at night too. Looks like a drag strip to me.

I heard about a west side path in the making. Not sure if it will be paved. Been over there this year?

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
West Side as in Waianae / Makaha? That'll be interesting. I lived in Makaha for 4 years. Watch out for the homeless and ice heads...