different size gears for beach cruisers?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Let me start by saying that I understand that beach cruisers only use one gear for the pedal side. Unless of course they are of the 3 speed variety, which my bike is not. What I am asking is if there are different size gears you can install on the pedal side of the rear wheel. To clarify further, the standard size gear is 18 teeth. I want to know if there are gears with more teeth available. Something in the 25 to 30 tooth area. If anyone knows what size gears are available and a source for them, that would be great.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
So you want it to be easier to pedal? Yes bigger cogs are available or you could go with a smaller chain ring up front. Either would do the same thing in the end, make it easier to pedal but a slower top speed while pedaling.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Not to sound smart, but with a motor, I am not worried about pedaling speed. I would rather have a larger rear cog than a smaller chainring. Easier pedaling would make it very easy to climb up hills. Don't know why I didn't think of this months ago, lol. Do you know a source for different size cogs?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Thanks for the info. Is that the largest available? I am looking for at least 25 teeth, 30 would be even better. My chainring has 44 teeth, so the more teeth on the rear sprocket, the easier pedaling will be.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
IMHO, it really would be easier to just switch the chainring, especially if you don't know exactly what hub you have and what sprocket will work on it. You'd have to replace your chain if you swapped out the rear sprocket to a larger one, too. Going to a smaller crank sprocket, you can just use a breaker and knock out the extra links and put it all back together, with the bonus of servicing your bottom bracket while you're at it. Well, I think it's a bonus lol :D

Just my opinion of course. I'd seriously rather replace a chainring than a rear sprocket on a wheel I know nothing about, myself. As for chainrings, Wald sells high quality stuff for cheap. Still US-made, too:

http://www.amazon.com/CHAINRING-1pc-WALD-36T-CP/dp/B0014FYGZA/

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
There are two problems with your "input", Aleman. The first and most serious is that you assume I know nothing about my rim. The second is that you assume I would find it easier to switch my chainring than to swap out my rear sprocket.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
In fact, my bottom bracket crank is the wide one sold specifically for motorized bicycles. The hole is hex shaped and has no hole for a peg, as opposed to the standard round hole and peg deal. My bottom bracket was also recently serviced when I painted and rebuilt my bike a couple weeks ago.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I would consider it far easier to change the rear sprocket than to switch chain rings. Even with the necessity to have a longer chain, because chains are inexpensive. I can also tell you that your efforts to appear smarter than others will be ineffective in my threads, because I will refuse to argue with you. That will take the wind right out of your sails. Good day, sir. Cheers!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
This is an old thread, but was recently thinking again about reducing my pedal gearing. Funnily enough, I googled and this thread popped up. I didnt even realize it was my thread until I opened the link. Mapbike, thank you once again for your wise advice. I've added the chainring in the second link to my watch list. I'm hoping to have the money to order it this week. If not, I'll just order it next paycheck.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Butterbean, after I lowered the Atomic BB I had to install shorter crank arms, because the stock ones were so long my pedals were hitting the ground. Then the shorter crank arms had to little leverage it was hard to pedal, so I had to change the gearing. Stock gearing was 18T on the rear, and 44T on the front.

The biggest rear sprocket I could find was 22T, but it was still too hard to pedal, so then I bought the smallest front sprocket (they call then chain rings) I could fit which was a 34T. Even so it's still kind of hard to pedal but at least it's possible.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Yeah biknut, I'm going down from 44t to 36t on the chainring. The back gear is 18t I think, but a 36t chainring should still make it a bit easier to pedal. I've got regular length crank arms, though they are bent to clear my engine and gearbox (big 4 stroke engine).

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I went the opposite way, went from a 36/18 to a 44/15. My pedal gearing is very tall now, with my maximum pedal cadence in 5th gear arriving at 40MPH!
That's also my engine's redline speed in top gear. Only the first 3 gears are usable with the engine shut off, but when running, it's a great combination :D

Being that I like to pedal because I simply feel silly on a bicycle when I'm not pedaling, 36/18 was wayyy too low for me.
But as an "emergency" gear for helping bump off the line or to pedal the bike with engine off for whatever reason, expect 9-10 MPH cruise @ 60RPM pedaling.

You may want lower than that if you have no multispeed.