Felt Red Baron

GoldenMotor.com

awhotrods

May 10, 2011
Newport Beach
Just picked up a new to me (used) bike tonight! Paid $260 for it, was thinking about building one of Pat's Sportsman Racer's, (prob still will at some point) but seriously thinking about strapping an engine on this thing. It already has a "in frame" tank that could easily be modified to hold fuel. What do you guys think? Good buy?

Attachments

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
Just picked up a new to me (used) bike tonight! Paid $260 for it, was thinking about building one of Pat's Sportsman Racer's, (prob still will at some point) but seriously thinking about strapping an engine on this thing. It already has a "in frame" tank that could easily be modified to hold fuel. What do you guys think? Good buy?
that awesome, I haven't seen another bike like mine before.

check out my build here...

http://motorbicycling.com/members/give-me-vtec-albums-red-barron-picture587-a.html

for 260 you scored!!!!! all you need is a jackshaft kit and a china girl and your ready to roll. don't modify the tank... bevause of the neccessry mods it will ruin the classic red Barron paint job. use a go ped tank and mount it behind the seat.

let me give you the heads up on the rear coaster hub though.... it sucks. find a nuvincci hub and a reputable wheel builder to lace it into the back wheel. everything else on the bike is the absolute best quality.... you're gonna love it!

Last edited:

awhotrods

May 10, 2011
Newport Beach
I really like your build! Where do I find the nuvincci hub? What do you think this bike is worth?

that awesome, I haven't seen another bike like mine before.

check out my build here...

http://motorbicycling.com/members/give-me-vtec-albums-red-barron-picture587-a.html

for 260 you scored!!!!! all you need is a jackshaft kit and a china girl and your ready to roll. don't modify the tank... bevause of the neccessry mods it will ruin the classic red Barron paint job. use a go ped tank and mount it behind the seat.

let me give you the heads up on the rear coaster hub though.... it sucks. find a nuvincci hub and a reputable wheel builder to lace it into the back wheel. everything else on the bike is the absolute best quality.... you're gonna love it!

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
I really like your build! Where do I find the nuvincci hub? What do you think this bike is worth?
not much cause I'm probably never gonna sell it and used motorized bikes don't resale well.

don't remember exactly where I got the hub... I'm sure one of the clickable links to the left will have one. thanks for the kind words.... good luck with your build. if you have any questions feel free to shot me a pm, I would be happy to help best I can.

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
Nice Score...just ride it...I would not put a motor in it...it's too nice

I like to motorize Dyno bikes but have a few I just can't touch and just ride...
there is good wisdom here.... I have regretted sometimes the damage it caused the frame. it was my first mb and I didn't know any better. now I build beater bikes that are used from craigslist. as long as you are very careful you can keep the damage to a minimum and produce a very beautifull bike in the process.

it sure was fun though!!!! no guts no glory..flg.

in hindsight.... you could remedy the problem by finding a way to shim a ring of steel in between the muffler clamps provided in the jackshaft kit, and the soft aluminum frame.

Last edited:

awhotrods

May 10, 2011
Newport Beach
I can tig weld very well so I figured the damage could be kept to a minimum. Although I'm starting to wonder if the bike is "too nice" to modify.

Nice Score...just ride it...I would not put a motor in it...it's too nice

I like to motorize Dyno bikes but have a few I just can't touch and just ride...

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Felts are excellent bikes, especially their cruisers. But I think their quality and strength also make them ideal candidates for motorizing. They can handle a motor better. A couple of our vendors here also sell special mounting hardware. But I have to concede this: it would also make sense to put a good motor on a good bike. Set it up right and it will last.

awhotrods

May 10, 2011
Newport Beach
I'm thinking the 9HP Morini, still trying to find out if the in frame tank is sealed on the ends. Don't want fuel running through & sitting in the lower sections of the frame. Does anyone make Morini mounts or do I need to fab everything?

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
I'm thinking the 9HP Morini, still trying to find out if the in frame tank is sealed on the ends. Don't want fuel running through & sitting in the lower sections of the frame. Does anyone make Morini mounts or do I need to fab everything?
a Morini would be sick.... hope you make it work.

the tank isnt sealed....

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
a Morini would be sick.... hope you make it work.

the tank isnt sealed....
Yup. You'd have to seal it at both ends. Gotta pull the fork and handle bar stem out to get into the head tube and seal things up there. Then gotta pull out the seat post and seal up the other end.

awhotrods

May 10, 2011
Newport Beach
Sounds like alot of work! Here is a pic after I installed new pedals, seat, headlight & anti-rust chain.

Yup. You'd have to seal it at both ends. Gotta pull the fork and handle bar stem out to get into the head tube and seal things up there. Then gotta pull out the seat post and seal up the other end.

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Oh, that is sooooo sweet. That is gonna make an awesome MB. You know, if you've read enough of my posts, that I have a marked soft spot for bright red motorbikes. That color, on a good vintage-styled bike, just seems to catch my eye like nothing else.

Aaron Nelson

Jul 22, 2010
MilesCity, Montana
I'd be cool to have that one accompanied with a tan or olive one painted with a hat in the ring like on the allied WWI fighters.

Ah....a sopwith felt....now all I need is a pair of Vickers....