50cc fuel filter black washer? NT air filter?

GoldenMotor.com

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Hello everyone... my post is regarding a little black rubber (looks like rubber) washer-shaped thing floating around in the fuel filter. As you can see in the picture, it is on the side that connects to the petcock valve at the fuel tank. What is this thing? And why haven't I ever read a single thing about it? Is it supposed to be loose? I will try taking better, closer pictures so you can see how it just floats around in there. It doesn't seem to be causing any negative effect, but then again, I'm new to this. I should mention that everything is new, as I just received it this past Tuesday and I'm currently in the process of breaking it in.

And also, a question concerning the NT air filter. I understand some people are partial to drilling holes, others say it's a no-no. If I don't know too much about this and don't want to spend $$, would drilling holes in it be a good way to increase the air intake? Or would I be better off going to a motorcycle mechanic and getting a different air filter? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
The black washer is supoposed to be on the end of the paper element inside the filter to hold it snugly against the fuel inlet. Common problem with these kit filters. Throw the cheap filter away and get a good one localy.

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Thanks wayne, now I understand what it is meant for. Now, could anyone maybe tell me what would happen, if say, I couldn't find a replacement? I'm just saying, if worse comes to worse. I have already found a motorcycle mechanic that could help me with maintenance, repairs, modifications etc.... I just want to know what could be the repercussions if I didn't replace it and just left it that way.

Sometimes, I feel if I don't ask these questions, I will eventually learn the hard way. I will go find a replacement as soon as I can.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Most motorcycle shops have good low cost filters ment for bikes. I got mine for under $5. Flat clear plastic with a extremely fine stainless steel filter. If you run the stock tank you will be amazed at the collection of rust that begins to gather after a while.

One thing you might try is holding a screwdriver tip close to where that "washer" is. It's possible it's a magnet, but I doubt it. There is a magnet in the BulletWala Sediment filter I got from India so maybe....

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Hey Dave, yeah, I just went to this motorcycle mechanic and he sold me one almost like it, but a bit nicer and properly set for $1.00. I take back anything I said about being frustrated for parts down here!

We spoke about re-jetting the carb. He charges $7-$10 normally. How much would a mechanic charge for that in the States? Thinking about getting this done after break-in - or would it be a better idea to do it a.s.a.p. ?(that way maybe he could take a look at some other things inside that may need tightening/replacing/fixing). Remember, high altitude, less air. I understand the jets are way too large, stock. By the way, I am almost finished with the first gallon mixed @ 24:1. Next gallon will be 32:1.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
That black washer thing is a magnet!
A good idea, but makes no sense to capture the metal particles, when the paper filter element is doing it anyway.