they said it could not work,WRONG??

GoldenMotor.com

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
I have found a way to drive my bike from the left side on my huasheng. YOU all said it would not work driving from the left hand crank, You had me brainwashed and stuck in first gear like all bike forum guys, and even kit suppliers, no jackshaft, no rag joint, and using anything from one gear, which is easy, to around four. Just because it has always been so, does not mean it has to stay that way.

you have to think outside the box. Go back to the drawing board, and start afresh. I have sourced all the parts, and apart from little choice on cogs it,s good enough. and the deraileur could be awkward. but that said nothing to stop it working.

now all you know it alls try and figure out what i have done, then i will talk to you. I might go into business and market the kit, As it would be better than what we have at the moment.

Now to improve what i have come up with, you smarter than me types can tell me why we need a reduction gearbox?? I mean how fast is the drive cog going round that can,t be compensated, by a single gear on this main drive shaft and the one on the crank. Would it be far to fast.as i have 9 teeth and 27teeth in my gear box.

just thought i could put the 27 tooth on the crank, but i need the big sprocket to drive, or put it back on the rear wheel, will have to work on that one. reason being i would like to get rid off the gearbox. it is in the way. That should keep you busy for a while, see what you can come up with,

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Congratulations
I don't think anyone said you can't drive off the left side with gears.

Camlifter has a pretty cool design and I think Manic Mechanic had a
system designed that needed some fairly expensive parts machined.
I probably missed others...

hey, let us know when you have your prototype built and have tested it a bit.
As my buddy Ghost0 at SickBikeParts says "Design is easy, execution the hard part"

Now to improve what i have come up with, you smarter than me types can tell me why we need a reduction gearbox?? I mean how fast is the drive cog going round that can,t be compensated, by a single gear on this main drive shaft and the one on the crank. Would it be far to fast.as i have 9 teeth and 27teeth in my gear box.
what? you haven't run your gearing calculations? That is step numero uno

I have found a way to drive my bike from the left side on my huasheng. YOU all said it would not work driving from the left hand crank, You had me brainwashed and stuck in first gear like all bike forum guys, and even kit suppliers, no jackshaft, no rag joint, and using anything from one gear, which is easy, to around four. Just because it has always been so, does not mean it has to stay that way.

you have to think outside the box. Go back to the drawing board, and start afresh. I have sourced all the parts, and apart from little choice on cogs it,s good enough. and the deraileur could be awkward. but that said nothing to stop it working.

now all you know it alls try and figure out what i have done, then i will talk to you. I might go into business and market the kit, As it would be better than what we have at the moment.

just thought i could put the 27 tooth on the crank, but i need the big sprocket to drive, or put it back on the rear wheel, will have to work on that one. reason being i would like to get rid off the gearbox. it is in the way. That should keep you busy for a while, see what you can come up with,

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
Hi. bimoped. did not do gear calcs. as i was going to use the box as it is, trying to get rid of the box was an after thought. i was planning on 28 t 16t and 11 t for top that would do for me, with a 44 main found the 11 and 16 not found a 28 yet, but **** thats better than my single gear at the moment.

Another idea i was looking at in the last two days, was to add an electric motor. one driving the crank, i found one yesterday, 1200 watt, i think it would fit under my engine, and allow me to keep everything as is.

but it cost $958 plus postage, thats $1245.40 for me. it would solve my problem, and give a lot more torque, and it can use the bikes gears, and pedal as well. would be better in traffic, and use the petrol engine on the flat or up gradients.

but i was looking at one electric bike called an ego going up a mountain, over 3000 ft dirt track. unbelievable. BY the way i don,t have to fabricate anything as all the parts are available on the net. SO FAR.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Congratulations
I don't think anyone said you can't drive off the left side with gears.

Camlifter has a pretty cool design and I think Manic Mechanic had a
system designed that needed some fairly expensive parts machined.
I probably missed others...

hey, let us know when you have your prototype built and have tested it a bit.
As my buddy Ghost0 at SickBikeParts says "Design is easy, execution the hard part"

what? you haven't run your gearing calculations? That is step numero uno
http://motorbicycling.com/f3/new-shift-concept-engineers-21357.html

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
well, it was kitchen chair enginering actually. and hours in front of the computer trying to find the parts, or even if they existed. i don,t agree with gost0. I think designing and thinking new ways to do something is the hard part. making to me is easy, as i am a toolmaker, there are a few small details, i have to check and verify with a cycle engineer. But i found the main stumbling block on the internet last night. So it is just a question of how many gears i can get at the moment. IT is definately on the cards at the moment. But this one last bit of the puzzle. Is £45 that,s pounds not dollars. so it aint going to be a cheap upgrade.

but if we discarded all the bits we did not need in the first place from these kits, it need not be that expensive, especially when one would not need a jackshaft either, sorry sbp. and kings, and pirate cycles and others if it put,s you out of business.LOL. we shall see.

FlyGuy

Apr 1, 2011
Corry, PA
I sometimes get the tar beat out of me for out of the box thinking.

Most people are comfortable inside there box i am comfortable outside the box and that make the insiders uncomfortable.

But anyway if you go online to here i guarentee you they have all the parts you ever could need and many you would never think of. It's like tractor supply on steriods.

Sprockets all kinds of them.

Sprockets & Sprocket Bushings from MSC Industrial Supply Co.

All sorts of chain tensioners

Chain Tensioners and other Tensioners, Tighteners & Guides at MSCDirect.com.

Drive Tighteners, Idlers & Aligners and other Tensioners, Tighteners & Guides at MSCDirect.com.

They have an extensive selection of bearings too.

Lets go build something cool.

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
hi fly. looks as though i need to change my gearbox to a grubee, are they any good, mine is silent, but the clutch is not good. does it stick out as far as the standard huasheng box, mine has sprockets and chain drive, box pear shaped.

I am waiting for replies from suppliers, found one that will will build you a wheel for free, if you buy the parts from them. looking into the shimano 8 speed hub. but prolly won,t work from the left side, that would save a lot of hassle, and make the build easy. Found all the bits, just a question of ordering, them, from dax, grubee, and a few others, we have to work together on these ideas.

you know the biggest problem is the reluctance of manufacturers to change, and do something different. Example if they all decided to make things for left side drive, or just a section for everything left on their sites they could make a lot of money.

in fact 3 days ago while searching for answers, an ordinary cycle forum. many members wanted left side drive bicycles, because they mounted from the right and did not want to get covered in oil from the chain, like left and right handed people, the present norm is not wanted by all. It,s time to change. i will now have a look at your rec,sites

FlyGuy

Apr 1, 2011
Corry, PA
Well i honestly don't know anything about the gearboxes.
Iv'e heard the Q-Matics are nice.

Dax should be ok and grubee only sells to dealers.

My approach at this would require a machine shop and some clever design.
I'll have to look around.

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
hi, i have found a site and a box, have a look at bicycle-engines.com same as the grubee. they ship to anyone it seems, they have some useful parts. I have a problem with a sally gator on this site giving me a hard time, some broads realy get their knickers in a twist over nothing, She has nothing to contribute, hope the admin ban her from this forum, as i have better things to do. got here from some chatline i expect. teach me to put in my two pence worth on some off topic.

we live and learn.

He who laughs last, didn,t get the joke earlier.