My Cranbrook/China Girl Motorized Bicycle Project Completed!

GoldenMotor.com

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, it is finally done. I know I didn't cover every little last thing in this post, just the major points. PLEASE ask any questions you might have, as I may be able to answer them now that the bike is complete and nearly has had 2 tanks of gas through it problem free. Thanks for everyone's help along the way, I know I asked a lot of questions, so I hope to return the favor to anyone taking on this project.

Well, here are some "build" pics.

Day 1:

Contents of the mysterious package:

Time to start. I'm sure my roommates were less than enthused that the living room of our apartment looked like this for a week and a half:

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: My Cranbrook/China Girl Project Completed!

Engine mounted:

Clutch installed:

Throttle/Kill switch installed:

Time to build rear wheel to accept the drive sprocket, grinding down bearing dust cap:

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Rear hub and coaster brake fall apart in the process:

Decided to file out center hole of the drive sprocket so as to not sand the tips of my fingers off with the dustcap and lack of bench grinder in my apartment:

Time to assemble rear wheel, sprocket, and rag joint... took 20 tries to get centered and true.

Assembled, and back on the bike:

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Which presented the next problem with the coaster brake arm:

I put the brake arm in a vise, and bent it with a 1.5 foot piece of tubing to fit. Here it is assembled with chain and chain tensioner installed as well:

Installed fuel tank, installed fuel valve in the tank and connected fuel line with inline filter:

Needed trimmed, took care of that:

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Wired up the CDI and plug wire:

Carb, intake, and clutch assembly:

Pain in the ass rag joint:

Getting there:

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Closer:

Done. After a couple hold ups and a few trips to the hardware store to replace stripped cheapo chinese hardware with good stuff.

Then the muffler tack welds blew apart on the baffles resulting in can not being able to be reattatched without welding, been riding it like this ever since. Mega loud...:

And that's where I'm at today. Runs real good, takes me up all the hills I ask it to. I know I need to get an expansion pipe soon, because with the stock muffler on the bike runs like crap, and doesn't make enough power to get up hills.

Oh, and by the way: Someone asked me what the white dust was in the some of the pictures. That is ground off whitewall from the drive chain. This will also be addressed shortly.

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh

Nice! Very classy. You said you replaced some hardware, replacing the tensioner hardware is good if you haven't done that already.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Looks very nice. Good pictures too.

Thanks for showing the inside of the rear hub.

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Well, I'd just like to check back in... Rode the bike for the first time today, since early November.

I did this bike for a fun/cool way to travel to my college campus and back, and it was great on nice days. Since I built it, I turned it into my senior engineering project to solve a problem of mine... needless to say I got an A on the project.

I just tried to run some more fuel out of it today (still 32:1), brought it in and cleaned it up. Put the new replacement muffler from ZoomBicycles on, as well. Runs significantly slower now unfortunately, but is much quieter.

Next on the list is squeezing some more performance out of the engine so it can pull me up hills and across flat ground faster. I need to invest in a better spark plug, carb, and most definitely exhaust (since riding it with the broken muffler when it had MUCH more power).

Has anyone tried the NT Speed carb? It's $25 and they claim it makes a huge difference. If it does make a difference in power, I will most likely get it.

Dr.8820

Dec 20, 2010
Freakville

nice build :). i finished mine dec. 10th, then went home for a month. now i'm waiting on the pull start, and hopefully i'll be cruising florida :).

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Florida, huh? I think you will have quite a few more months of riding possible per year than me. Mine is just sitting in my apartment until it gets reasonably warm again (March?).

Dr.8820

Dec 20, 2010
Freakville

i'm from cleveland...loved my city...til about 5 years ago :D! btw, GO STEELERS :)!

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

I'm sick of Pgh but can't afford to move anywhere else. Either way I'd still be saying Go Steelers!

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine

i live in maine, and as long as my trike is running ill go for a cruise. even when the temp is around 0 degrees f. extra layers and the need to burn gasoline

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM

Well, it is finally done. I know I didn't cover every little last thing in this post, just the major points. PLEASE ask any questions you might have, as I may be able to answer them now that the bike is complete and nearly has had 2 tanks of gas through it problem free. Thanks for everyone's help along the way, I know I asked a lot of questions, so I hope to return the favor to anyone taking on this project.

Well, here are some "build" pics.

Day 1:

Contents of the mysterious package:

Time to start. I'm sure my roommates were less than enthused that the living room of our apartment looked like this for a week and a half:

Did you use the motor mount that came with the kit or a heavy duty after market? Nice bike bud