More CNS carb questions

GoldenMotor.com

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Ok this is not your normal CNS carb question like "ahh it does not work right out of the box" or "why are their so many screws and ports!!??" I simply want to know if the CNS carbs are sturdier than the NT carbs.

I had an NT, loved it, but it couldn't handle the vibes and started crapping out - first the choke nut would vibrate loose and kill my ride, even after an application of lock-tite. Then the upper assembly that held the slide and throttle in place would come un-done and would rev like crazy. Finally one of the teeth that held it to the manifold broke and I said enough. Bought the CNS from Spooky the next day.

I have prior experience with carbs so I was not afraid of the tuning aspect. Right after I mounted it, the bike started up as soon as I let go of the clutch (and it had been sitting up for over a month!) and I thought I had gotten lucky but sure enough it would bog down after a few seconds at 3/4 throttle then later would bog the second I tried to throttle. No worries though and after an hour or so of fiddling i think I have it just right.

So back to my main question, will the CNS carbs be able to handle the vibrations a little bit better? I.E. - Are they tougher?

I know the vibrations are the main problem but I have tried many ways so correct them to no avail. Figured the CNS carb could handle them.

Thanks for reading my wall of a post and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

-Clark

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Erm... I've sorta a mixed reply lol

My build seems to run smoother that average (hard mounted, shiftkit = no tensioner) so I've not the extreme vibration some report w/the HTs... but on the other hand I rack up the mileage pretty quick (4000 miles this season) & the only problem I've had has been pretty recent...

In the past 500 miles or so I've developed a bit of a problem, at first I just thought my bike was scared of the dark/new places as it'd leave a puddle if left by itself too long... turns out the lil valve & seat has worn & no amount of adjusting the float height could fix it.

I suppose I could dig up a replacement... but instead I've just started to turn my fuel off when parking. It's a very minor drip, doesn't even start for the first coupla hours & after an entire overnight it's prolly about 1/2 a teaspoonful at most.

Problem is... now I gotta remember to turn my fuel back on in the mornin' :p

biken stins

Jul 11, 2008
Just for the reason of the vibration of these machines I check for tightness on a regular bases. Seems at least one will find its way loose. Regular and frequant maintance is a must. Of course I could be wrong.
To your CNS carb question, the intake bolts on mine have needed tighting. The carb to intake seems to hold well.

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
but on the other hand I rack up the mileage pretty quick (4000 miles this season)
So hopefully that doesn't become a problem for me! LOL I only have about 200 miles on mine and its been running since March. I only ride it to school (5-6 miles) and for the occasional joy ride.

And I am glad you haven't had any structural damage either that makes me feel better. I am excited I will be able to fine tune the carb as well when it starts to get colder. No snow down here so I can ride all year long!

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
The only problem I have had with the CNS carb is the air/fuel mix screw tends to back itself out a little after about 200+ miles of riding. No big problem as it just won't idle down when it happens. Just pull out my swiss army knife and turn it back in about 1/2 to 3/4 turns and everybody's happy.