How Do I Fix Clutch Problem?

GoldenMotor.com

videomandw

Jun 24, 2010
indiana
hello,

i have ridden my chinese two stroke bike about 150, just gotten her broken in when my clutch went out. i was riding along and suddenly it was like the main chain drive gear disconnected from the engine. i think i may have found the problem. i think i sheared the woodruff key on the small pinion gear on the right side (from the rider's view) of the bike. it is the gear that engages the larger clutch gear. also i don't know where the key might have gone. i could not find it when i removed the small pinion gear. my first question is where can i find a replacement key?

my second question is, in investigating the problem i completely removed the pressure plate cover by undoing the tiny screw on the plate and the flower nut in the center. i'm now not sure how tight i should tighten the flower nut so that the clutch works right.

also what in the heck is that little screw on the cover plate for? i don't see how it holds anything in place.

thank you for any help in advance
david welch
valparaiso, in

OBX Fisherman

Jun 13, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
I've seen Woodruff keys in Lowes in the hardware section. Can also buy them on-line, places like McMaster Carr.

The tiny screw keeps the flower nut in place on the pressure plate. You'll have to do some adjusting to find the right spot for the flower nut on the pressure plate. I just replaced the clutch pucks in my engine and had to readjust. There's a good thread on here about adjusting the clutch, I think it's a sticky in the maintenance section.

Ahh here it is!
http://motorbicycling.com/f39/motor-bicycle-clutch-301.html

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Tighten the flower nut until the clutch lever on the other side of the engine points almost toward the very rear of the back tire... (Thats a good starting point.) Then re-adjust the clutch cable.
Also, pulling the clutch lever on the handle bars makes it easier the tighten the flower nut.

& make sure to put that tiny set screw back in so the flower nut stays put! ;)

Last edited:

Alfonso Macias

Sep 28, 2018
I need help as well, one day I was replacing the spark plug with one i got from eBay and then I started the engine. Shortly after I turned the bike off and put it on the stand to put some stuff away. Moments later the bike fell to its left side. I took a look at it to see if anything was messed up and then I noticed the clutch started slipping even when I fully engaged it and even after I adjusted it. I'm not sure if I need to replace a specific part, the whole clutch, or maybe even a piston or whatever moves the piston up and down. Pls help.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I need help as well, one day I was replacing the spark plug with one i got from eBay and then I started the engine. Shortly after I turned the bike off and put it on the stand to put some stuff away. Moments later the bike fell to its left side. I took a look at it to see if anything was messed up and then I noticed the clutch started slipping even when I fully engaged it and even after I adjusted it. I'm not sure if I need to replace a specific part, the whole clutch, or maybe even a piston or whatever moves the piston up and down. Pls help.
This thread might help you adjust your clutch.
https://motorbicycling.com/threads/clutch-cable-and-clutch-adjusting-procedures.22726/