Rattle at idle

GoldenMotor.com

ncsubiker

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I just got my Grubee 66cc running good, have about 50 or so miles on her and now it is rattling at idle. Once I get the rpms up or get on the gas at all it smooths out and runs fine. It idles great as well, there is just a rattle coming from the engine while at idle with the clutch pulled in. I checked all my nuts and bolts for tightness and they were all still snug. Havent taken apart the clutch cover yet, going to do that soon and grease up the gears to see if that will help. It might just be nothing, but if there is anything at all wrong I would like to catch it before it gets worse.
Any ideas?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
while it's idling, put your hand over the big teardrop clutch cover. if it quiets down, it's probably normal. the cover amplifies the noise. i use Plasti-dip spray paint on the inside of the cover. other people use cork gasket material, rubber, undercoating spray, silicon, etc. to dampen the noise.

ncsubiker

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
while it's idling, put your hand over the big teardrop clutch cover. if it quiets down, it's probably normal. the cover amplifies the noise. i use Plasti-dip spray paint on the inside of the cover. other people use cork gasket material, rubber, undercoating spray, silicon, etc. to dampen the noise.
Try this with the clutch handle pulled or lifting the rear and letting the wheel spin freeley?

Thanks

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Also check the head bolts make sure they are tightened. Same thing happened to a friend of mine, a quick tighten and it was good as new.

ncsubiker

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I talked to a mechanic and he said it could be piston slap and that the whole motor might need to be rebuilt! He didnt hear the bike but said that could be what it is, is that possible with only 50 miles on it????? I really do not want to have to buy a new motor.

ncsubiker

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Ok, I greased the gears under the clutch cover. Tightened all bolts and nuts and still have a rattle...I guess I will just ride it and see if it worsens