need help with Honda 80

GoldenMotor.com

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
I have a problem,my honda aero80 wont start.I pulled the plug and the cyl.was full of gas.I drained the gas tank and turned it over without the plug in and it shot fuel out of the plug hole.What happend.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
My motorcycle man said it was caused by the 100 deg. heat.He thinks the heat caused the fuel to expand and it backed out of the tank into the motor,it is not a vented system.Does this make sense to you guys.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Yes, up to a point.
If the fuel tank will not allow internal pressure to escape out of a vent and the fuel valve was in the on position the pressure could overpower the float needle valve and cause the carburetor to overfill and flood.

How you got enough to fill up your engine is a bit baffling though. I could see maby 1/4 cup of fuel at the most being forced into a carb with the aforementioned problem.
Considering the volume of fuel you are talking about, that does sound like a dirty or stuck float valve or fuel logged float.

Most fuel tanks these days are vented into a charcoal canister. Any excess pressure is vented to it and the fumes are trapped by the charcoal.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Then the fuel cap might only have a one way vent to let air in as the fuel goes out.
Honda was funny like that years ago. My '80 CT70 has a free venting cap, though it has the ability to turn the vent on or off depending on if you are transporting in on the back of an RV or riding it.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
FWIW, your fuel tank is a vented system. How the vent works on your particular Honda I don't know. Honda was and still is known for innovations that come and go, sometimes in the middle of a model year.

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
I know that this may sound "out there" but check your valve clearances . When these clearances disappear with wear the valves no longer close properly and can cause fuel to be pushed or sucked in to all sorts of places . I also once had the choke flap come loose from its arm and fall in to the full on position without looking like it was on . .... D.J.