Old model airplanes

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Old R/C airplanes

More pictures I found on that DVD.

My brother (the one pictured below) still has that old flight box of my dad's. Grandpa made it out of old egg crates or so I'm told and it SILL smells of old nitro and castor oil.

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi

Mom, my two sisters and my brother (the one who made the DVD)

Dad and check out that single channel reed transmitter!

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Dad had a friend at the year of the chevy wagon ('55-'56), that was into real and model airplanes(Kansas City,mo)and it was a shock to see that woody wagon ford 'cause we had one at the time when we would go watch him fly planes

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
kevlarr,
I've been flying R/C (and full scale) for years! Those pictures are nostalgic!! Awesome, change the cars, the clothes, could be today. I got spoiled with my PCM7 digital prop radio, gyro's for my pattern planes, $100 servos to make "Me" better! Those radio's on/off, no inbetween, heck, I can't even fly mode I, even my helo's are on mode II. Spoiled bad, and I consider free flight an emergency!! Thanks for the look back!

Mac

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Yea Mac it could be today except every one of those planes is covered in either silk or tissue and dope. Monokote was a great invention. :D

Now a little quiz, can anyone tell me why there is a wire coming out of the hood of the car over to the airplanes?

A couple of hints, electric starters and power panels hadn't been invented yet and glow plugs were only 1.5v (note the big dry cell by the Bramco plane's transmitter)

If anyone knows this I'll be amazed. lol

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Kevlarr,
I'm going out on a limb with a guess. I know the first reed radio systems needed a HAM radio license to operate and a huge antenna too(seperate of the "hand held" x-mitter), My guess... something to do with powering the amp/antenna, no doubt tube's and cap's. If not that, for a 6 volt coffee maker!!LOL
Mac

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Anntenna would be my guess too, or a remote power supply for the radio, since those oldie TX's took some power.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Nope. Way back before maintenance free batteries the top of a car battery was sealed with tar. Dad didn't like having to lug around a dry cell so he'd pound a nail into the battery into the cell closest to the positive post, connect his alligator clips and PRESTO 1.5v to power the glow plug. :D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hand held electric starter, or power for the coffee pot?
Reed radios or escapement? Good lord, I used to fly Kraft digital/ proportional when it first came out. Anyone else remember Heathkit radios? The Japanese
radios hadn't hit the markets yet. You either had a Kraft, a Cannon or a Heathkit. Thanks for the photos Kev. A little before my time but not that much. I'll look through some of my old stuff and maybe highjack your thread with some oldies of my own.
Anyone remember the Andrew's Kits of the 70s...Trainermaster, Wingmaster, and who could forget Das Ugly Stick???
Tom

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
2door,
Yea, my first used radio was a Kraft single stick, I still can't fly real well in mode I, they still make a newer version of the ugly stick, I think "Balsa USA" has the deal with them now

Mac

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
The first 4 channel radio that dad had that I remember was a big ol' red anodized Citizen-Ship like the one that's top row 2nd from the left. That got retired and he bought a orange Kraft.

BTW, I have a Slow Stick in the basement. laff

Last edited: