Remote Air Intake

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I put a remote air intake on my bike today. The idea has been mentioned on many posts and most are much neater than mine but I figured I would post pictures and results. There was no noticeable improvement in performance, but was not expecting any, however it did change the sound a bit which was my intent. It was not much quieter, but the sound was lower, almost like it had more bass, so it was a nicer sound less like a chainsaw more like a motorcycle.

The set up itself was pretty simple I used the stock air filter and dremeled a huge hole in it, then I used an old inner tube to connect a piece of hose and a soda bottle, I left the stock air filter element in place, I may add a secondary filter element in the soda bottle but I did not have anything kicking around so it will have to wait..wee.

Attachments

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If you place a cloth (t-shirt )over the end then a flat pan bottom so that the air passes through the edge ,,how does its tone sound?

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Just an update I found that one of those swimming noodles cut to length fit into the soda bottle nicely. So I wrapped it in some cloth and jammed it in there and it quiets it down noticeably.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Doing something like that also lowers the performance of the engine, because now the engine has to work harder to pull in the air through that length of hose.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...if the ID of the hose is significantly larger then the throat of the carby there'd be little to no impact on performance, it'd hafta be awful long and/or smaller than the carb to effect it. I did a few with & without runs on my schwinn as I was kinda worried about that too ;)

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Seems to be running fine, but I may take it off just to test if there is a performance issue. I do like the new sound it makes though