Engine crank seal

GoldenMotor.com

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
Whilst trying to find an elusive air leak. I gave up and decided to fix my clutch that was starting to slip, when I took the cover off it was covered in black oil, so I found my air leak as well, so I took the small gear off and sure enough the seal wasnt pushed into its casing properly, and the crank is bured whitch is why the gear allways protruded a bit, and the screw holding the gear in was hard to remove like it was crosthreaded. my question is what normaly holds that seal there or is it just pressed in or was it the gear not seating properly . As I havnt reasembled it yet.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Olav,
I've had a bunch of issues in that area, the seal just press's in, a bit of silicone would help retain it, as far as the small gear, seems like the fit is quite poor, the keyway is most difficult to keep in the grove while installing the gear, which is the Chinese version of "interference fit". Here is my success, superglue the keyway nice and flush, accelerate it or let it get good and dry, sand off excess, while you have the sand paper out(240) ream the small gear a bit, just clean it up, not really reaming, try to clean out the keyway groove, install gear, remember this geaw must rotate onto the large clutch housing gear, best bet is have the clutch gear removed. Good luck

Mac