motor problem

GoldenMotor.com

pwrobleski

Jul 9, 2009
Florida
So I have a 80/66cc 2 stroke china motor, with less than 60 miles on it. I took the advice and soldered my wires together instead of using the plug in connectors. I changed the stock plug to a iridium, also upgradedthe wire and cap. Since the upgrade in wire and cap, which was a better insulated wire and a waterproof cap my speedo works great- Thanks guys. So after I finished I took it for another test run. My mb climbed good all the way to 24 mph. Then I hit a wall again and it 4 stroked back down to 18.9. I could not break that wall, I even drove it around the block a few times to warm it up but no luck. I know it's not the exhaust because my stock muffler was gutted. So I thought maybe the air filter was fudged. I pulled back in the garage and pulled it off and back out I went. Same thing at 18mph, So here I am back to square one. I can say I feel the difference with the electrical fix, it revs better. With me climbing up to 24mph then backing down to 18.9 Could it be my carb? When I hit 18 I still have 1/4 throttle left but when I turn it struggles and bogs down sound like a 4 stroke and all power is gone just putt putt putt..... .flg.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
PW,
Did you re-solder your jet to a #70 or 71 drill bit, like.026"??? That sounds like it to me. Get the bit, actually get like 5 of them. Resolder the main jet closed, hold the jet with pliers, heat it , dab some solder/flux on the end(not the threaded side) only a bit of solder, don't fill the jet, too much to drill through, just the very tip, if you don't have a microdrill, hand held, use a pair of vice grips close to the end of the bit, about 1/4" from the cutting tip, carefully drill thru the newly placed solder, make sure you don't go side to side, will make it too big, try that, you should be pleased.

Mac

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Agreed...get some miles on it before you start making modifications. Two or three gallons of fuel then start reading your spark plug color. What fuel mix ratio are you using? Disregard the instructions that tell you to mix it 16:1. Start at 24:1 and move down from there...after break in which will take a few miles and gallons of fuel. The stock carburetor and jets work good for most people without alteration.
Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Listen to these wise men. I didn't start feeling any major differences until after 200 + miles. And she still feels like she could be breaking in some more. Have patience. You'll get the bike up to snuff given time.