30 Miles and WT#!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
Was out riding the motored bike this afternoon and came to a stop and seemed like it was idling a little fast so I slowed it down a little and It just died. I thought ok just get going again but could not get it going again, luckly I was in front of the house. New motor, 20:1 oil mix, good NGK plug, only 30 miles of slow, around 18 mph, every thing was going well. So I took it into the garage and started fiddlin with it.

I have spark
Took carb off and cleaned, measured float to 21mm, made sure jet was clean.
Air filter is new

Does anybody have any suggestions?

HELP Please

Q

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sounds like an air leak to me....make a new intake gasket (or use some silicone on both sides....just a little) and check to be sure your carb is all the way on the intake.

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
Still no joy, put some permatex gasket sealer on intake gasket, made sure the carb was on good on intake manifold, still no joy, Took carb apart, made sure the float needle and jet? was unclogged every thing seems ok, getting plenty of spark, brand new NGK. Im starting to wonder.....

any other suggs?

Q

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
does the engine kick over at all and then die? or just nada? try choking it and starting it if you havnt, that should diagnose if its fuel /air related or spark/mechanical.

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
does the engine kick over at all and then die? or just nada? try choking it and starting it if you havnt, that should diagnose if its fuel /air related or spark/mechanical.
It does not even kick over, Have tried choking, nada, I do have good spark when i take the plug out and hook it up and spin the back wheel, is this the right way to check for spark?

how many turns out should the mixture screw be turned out? in the manual it says 3.5 turns, is this a good starting point?

Q

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
i suppose you could trying blowing through the carb? lol Bernoullian principle right?

or just turn the shutoff valve off and run it down hill with the clutch out. if the fuel is no longer in the hose its in your engine.

also how long have you had the bike? and did you clean out the tank when you got it, there might be rust and gunk cloggin the fuel filter on the petcock.

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
i suppose you could trying blowing through the carb? lol Bernoullian principle right?

or just turn the shutoff valve off and run it down hill with the clutch out. if the fuel is no longer in the hose its in your engine.

also how long have you had the bike? and did you clean out the tank when you got it, there might be rust and gunk cloggin the fuel filter on the petcock.
I have had the motor for about a week and a half, I did not clean out the tank when I got it I looked inside and it was very clean, I can let the tube hange out and the fuel will flow very easy, so I know that there is not any clog in the line, I thought at first that was the problem and checked it and all was good.

Q

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
ok well make sure the carb is suck fuel out of the bowl. try running it downhill like i said before and report back

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
ok well make sure the carb is suck fuel out of the bowl. try running it downhill like i said before and report back
can I just ride it and find out? I have no hill close by. Will have to check back tomorrow afternoon.

Q

Last edited:

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
yeah uc an ride it, it may be a pain in the ass to pedal witht he clitch disengaged though. and if its not then there could be a whole other set of problems lol. does the engine "putt" when you pop the clutch?

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
I sounds like it usualy does, It just does not want to fire, and yes it is a pain to pedal, It still feels like it has compression.

:-||

Q

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Take the plug out put a bit of fresh gas in the plug hole put the plug back in jump on see if it fires this way if it does you are not getting gas through the carb

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
Will try when I get home this afternoon, bummer being at work and not being able to troubleshoot your motor, I hope that I can keep my mind on my work... RIGHT!

Q

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It does not even kick over, Have tried choking, nada, I do have good spark when i take the plug out and hook it up and spin the back wheel, is this the right way to check for spark?

how many turns out should the mixture screw be turned out? in the manual it says 3.5 turns, is this a good starting point?

Q
Let's back up to this post.

Yes, as long as you are grounding the plug to the engine, you should see spark doing that.

That screw is NOT mixture screw...it's an idle speed screw. It doesn't adjust the mixture ever, and is not capable of doing so. Turn it in until you see your slide just start to move and then once you get it running, you can adjust it from there.

You aren't sure you're getting gas "to the piston"....when you took the plug out to test for spark, was it wet with fuel? Should have been. If it's not, then go through the fuel system from beginning to end, and find the blockage.

Don't just pedal around or down a long hill hoping it's going to start, you can ruin your engine that way. If not fuel is going in, no lubrication is either.

Last edited:

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
Was out riding the motored bike this afternoon and came to a stop and seemed like it was idling a little fast so I slowed it down a little and It just died. I thought ok just get going again but could not get it going again, luckly I was in front of the house. New motor, 20:1 oil mix, good NGK plug, only 30 miles of slow, around 18 mph, every thing was going well. So I took it into the garage and started fiddlin with it.

Go through all your wire connections {maybe came loose}, check CDI and magnito. Amazingly enough these things can get weird after initial riding of bike. Also, check your connection of plug wire to CDI, somtimes connected by a hair, and spark plug gap too.

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl
I was in a **** of a jam like this a few months ago. Fuel was dripping out of my exhaust when i cranked it over and over, I had spark outside the motor and everything was sealed up with silicone and rtv. Turned out that my spark was very weak, and was blowing out under compression in the motor. I borrowed my friend's cdi and then she started with ease. Just something to ponder...