Sprocket spacing on old coaster brake hub?

GoldenMotor.com

Strapnug

Mar 13, 2010
Wichita, Ks.
Hi- new to the forum. Have browsed the site, but none of the fixes seem to work with this problem.
I just received my BGF kit this week and started with mounting the sprocket. This is on on old 60's
Otasco 26 inch cruiser with a Shimano "D" type coaster brake, which is in excellent condition. With the lever arm off and dust cap removed, if I lay the sprocket flush to the spokes with no rubber installed and install the brake lever arm back on the flats of the bearing cone, there is absolutely no clearance between the sprocket and the inside surface of the arm, just a shear, rub fit. If I install the t rubber shim (.300 thick) between the sprocket and the spokes I will come up about .300" plus some clearance short, for the brake lever arm to seat on the square flats of the left bearing cone. I can
only see making a special spacer about a half inch thick which would fit over the flats of the cone
on one side and have raised flats on the outside to engage the flat/hole in the brake arm. Then bend as necessary to clear the bolt heads. My question is, does anyone make such a part to shim out the arm where it will clear the sprocket with the rubber spacer installed? Probably not your typical modern coaster brake. Or is there a better way!--Regards--James Parker in Wichita

macattie88

Dec 2, 2009
columbia sc
Pictures would help. The coaster brake hub/arms can be a pain. Have you considered an adapter?
SPROCKET ADAPTER
i bought one for my delmar...it saves soooo much aggrevation! worth every penny...i tried the rag joint route and found it to be very frustrating to line up and it looks like crap...jims adapter makes it a snap and really looks great too.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Made my adapter by hand on some manual machines, regardless, I never even took the rag joint hardware out of the bag. The adapter covers several problems all at once, the run out and concentric issues are nill. I don't know for sure about Jim's I made mine narrow enough for side to side alignment as well. I would assume his are engineered the same way.