For the friction drive guys

GoldenMotor.com

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
im looking into the possibilities of building my own friction drive setup, however id like to mount the engine on top of the whole works instead of hanging off the side. i estimate that in the end ill have spent almost as much as a quality kit (that hangs the engine off the side)

my question is, is it worth the hassle to do it my way?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I vote "heck ya!". Always more fun and it is all yours. Crazy expense and hard lessons won is big time worth it. With all the really good FD and DIY folks here, you can stop at any time and say, "hey, got a question..." Some one will have struggled with it.

Build some thing cool Buddy!

Last edited:

mlcorson

Sep 7, 2009
St. louis, mo
I have 2 bikes, one with a rack mounted chain drive and centered over the back of the bike. The other is a BMP friction drive that is off center. Other than the looks I don't feel any balance/performance difference than a centered mount. IMO, I don't think the result is worth the effort. Build your own...absolutely. There was a guy on the other board who built a really sweet FD using a 4" x1/4" aluminum square tube to make a channel. He cut one side off the tube and had a channel to make a great motor and spindle mount. Looked real solid. Hope this helps.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
i have a big bore tripleported pocketbike engine id love to gear up with this.

the reason im hung on the cag motor is all the performance parts available for them.
not sure im going to build anything yet. im not quite ready to go and chuck a $100 motor on my $500 mountain bike for the sake of heading for work quite yet.

good idea on the 4" square stock.... ill keep that in mind.

i wonder if you could get away with making the whole thing as a clamp on to the seatpost unit?