Another Murray Westport

GoldenMotor.com

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Found me yet another Murray Westport cruiser. I was out on patrol the other day and saw this bike leaning up against the back of a trailer. Asked the guy in the trailer what he wanted for it and he said I could have it. It was pink (faded crimson) with a wire basket on front, rusted chrome fenders and flat tires and a rotten seat. Sanded her down, primed her up and put on 4 coats of blue paint. Re-worked the bottom bracket put on some new rims (old ones had bent axles) and new tubes and tires, new pedals on the old crank which i polished back up to like new. Also put on a new chain and new handlebars and now I'm waiting on a black engine to come in the mail. These bikes are so easy to motorize, except for beating and bending the coaster brake arm to clear the bolt heads on the sprocket. Wish I could install hand brakes on it but I'm just not that good yet. She's gonna be a good addition to the collection I think.

Attachments

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Yep! That's (part of) my frame. Frankensteined it with another bike. Early 70's Murray Westport. Right down to beating the smack out of that brake arm. I was told just put it in the vice and bend it over.
Yeah, good luck with that! I heated and bent over & over till I got it right. My vice still
spits at me when I go near!

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Yeah, I already messed up one work table and one vice trying to bend the last coaster brake arm on the red murray I did a couple of weeks ago. Had to reinforce my work table and get a better vice after that fiasco. Guess I'll be breaking in the new vice doing it again on this murray as soon as my engine gets here. I don't know how I keep ending up with Murray Westports but I do, it's like they find me, lol.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Wayne you got any pics of your westport creation? Not many people have posted pics of these bikes on here that I know of. I'd like to see more of them.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nice find, hambro. You've done well. Keep us informed on that blue build.
As for bending that brake arm, try a big Crescent wrench instead of a hammer. I think you'll like the results. Oh, wait, I meant clamp the wrench to the arm while its in a vice and bend...don't beat it with the wrench. :)
Tom

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Big crescent wrench is exactly what I finally resorted to last time and it did work better than anything else I tried, I actually never did beat it with a hammer but this time i'm thinking of clamping it in the vice and using a short, modified cheater pipe to give me some good leverage. Problem is the brake arm has to be bent both ways, have to bend it one way and then flip it over and bend the other half of it back the other way to bring it back in line to be parallel with bottom of the frame.

Last edited:

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Wayne you got any pics of your westport creation? Not many people have posted pics of these bikes on here that I know of. I'd like to see more of them.
Really, all that's left 'Westport' is the frame and chain guard.

http://motorbicycling.com/f15/wayback-machine-12938.html

Even the motor is changed now to a 2 stroke Mitsu-clone. And the above mentioned
coaster was replaced by the HD Freewheel hub.
WC

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Man Wayne, do you need a pilots license to fly that thing. You got some serious hardware there my friend, that is a lot of bike and really cool as ****. I can see the westport in there but it is definitely not the same bike it once was. Nice Job.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Well here she is, all finished up and ready to leave the nest. I hope she sells soon so I can buy more stuff and build another one. This one rides like a dream, very smooth and lots of pick up right off the bat.

Attachments

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Thanks 26, Just took her for another test drive and I can't get over how good this bike rolls out. Nice and smooth and getting faster by the minute. Whoever buys it will have a good bike, not too flashy, but I like to keep it simple.