Help with a cool project please.

GoldenMotor.com

RCinAL

Dec 27, 2009
Alabama
Hi, I'm a noob. (Please see my introduction thread for details.) I have a awesome beach cruiser I want to motorize. I can't post a link because I am a noob I guess. It is a 'Electra Straight 8' bicycle. Would someone please google it and post a link or photo of one so I can explain my concerns with this build? The forum won't let me do it.

I simply want to install a 2-stroke kit and ride, but it is a rather unique bike and I'd like a little advice from others with experience before I order something that may not bolt right up. It is also a very expensive bike (to me anyway) and I do not want to mess it up if I can help it. I am well tooled and plenty mechanically inclined, but do not own the expensive specialty tools needed to "custom fabricate" a lot of things and would scrap the idea if anyone thinks this will be a lot harder than usual.

Thanks,

Ralph

RCinAL

Dec 27, 2009
Alabama
Yes, that's it. Thanks a million, stilldoc! Mine is identical to that one except I have installed ape hanger handlebars for better comfort and a few more style points.

Can someone recomend a quality 2-stroke kit that will bolt right in to this bike? As you can see, the lower frame tube going to the stearing head is bigger than most bikes. Also, the pedals are positioned about 6 inches farther forward than is standard. What about the cables that come with these kits? Will they be long enough for my bike's ape hangers? They are at least twice as tall as the stock ones in the photo. And the 3-speed Nexus hub. Do these cause any unique problems?

Thanks,

Ralph

Last edited:

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
The throttle cables that come with the two-stroke kits are LONG so you won't have any problems with your ape hangers. Also since the majority of kits utilize a sprocket on the other side your nexus hub shouldn't cause any problems.(I am not 100% sure, as i only have seen the nexus in pics, but it looks the same). The "standard" two-stroke kits are designed for a "V" frame bicycle, like a normal mountain bike, so you have to drill a hole in some of the crusier type frames in order to mount the motor. I would recomend clicking on some of the links around the forum and finding a kit that fits your price range.(the motors are all the same design-wise, its just qaulty and a couple features that is lacking on the cheaper ones, i personally have a cheap $120 kit that i love)

RCinAL

Dec 27, 2009
Alabama
The throttle cables that come with the two-stroke kits are LONG so you won't have any problems with your ape hangers. Also since the majority of kits utilize a sprocket on the other side your nexus hub shouldn't cause any problems.(I am not 100% sure, as i only have seen the nexus in pics, but it looks the same). The "standard" two-stroke kits are designed for a "V" frame bicycle, like a normal mountain bike, so you have to drill a hole in some of the crusier type frames in order to mount the motor. I would recomend clicking on some of the links around the forum and finding a kit that fits your price range.(the motors are all the same design-wise, its just qaulty and a couple features that is lacking on the cheaper ones, i personally have a cheap $120 kit that i love)
Thanks, JTG. When you say "V", do you mean V-shaped frame tubing as opposed to round? I'm not certain I want to drill too many holes in the bike.

Also, the most important feature in an engine, as long as it fits, is lack of serious vibration. I want the smoothest one I can find if there is a difference. Customer support and spare parts being readily available are also big plus. I plan to pass this bike down to the kids.

RCinAL

Dec 27, 2009
Alabama
BTW, John, I love the Trail 90 in your avatar! I've owned 2. I sold the last one 14 years ago. It only had 900 miles on it and was in near mint condition. The fellow just parked it in a garage and threw a cover over it. I've spent the last 10 years trying to buy it back to no avail. I should have hung on to that one.

Ralph

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
What do we know (from experience) about the new $399 T-belt kits Looks like a lot of room in that frame,

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Btw you dont have to drill a hole in the frame, theres a clamp type mount for oversize frames you can use, just look it up on this forum and you will see.

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
well, by v-frame i meant the way mountain bikes have the v at the bottom of the frame. btw I have a honda ct110 and ride it all over (offroad) and am gonna get an old OHV trail 55 to restore!

-oh and i have a question for you. How well does that nexus hub work? Whats your thoughts on those?

Evan

Dec 6, 2009
Mount Vernon, WA
Hi, I'm a noob. (Please see my introduction thread for details.) I have a awesome beach cruiser I want to motorize. I can't post a link because I am a noob I guess. It is a 'Electra Straight 8' bicycle. Would someone please google it and post a link or photo of one so I can explain my concerns with this build? The forum won't let me do it.

I simply want to install a 2-stroke kit and ride, but it is a rather unique bike and I'd like a little advice from others with experience before I order something that may not bolt right up. It is also a very expensive bike (to me anyway) and I do not want to mess it up if I can help it. I am well tooled and plenty mechanically inclined, but do not own the expensive specialty tools needed to "custom fabricate" a lot of things and would scrap the idea if anyone thinks this will be a lot harder than usual.

Thanks,

Ralph
Hi Ralph
You should find everything you need here. Don't be afraid to ask ?? everyone here has been extremely helpful in my build. As far as tools and stuff, I have been able to do everything so far very cheap. Maybe not the ideal situation but I have done everything with my cordless drill and using vice grips to clamp things down to my bench because I don't have my vice handy. (thats a story for another time)I carry all the tools needed to work on the bike in a pouch that goes in my backpack when I ride. Good Luck, WELCOME!, and keep us posted on your success
Evan dance1

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
What is a V-framed bike? Is mine a V-frame? It has round tubing.
A "V-frame" bike is one where the seat tube and the front down tube are welded to the pedal tube. Your's is not a V-frame because your seat tube is welded to an extension tube further back than the pedal tube.

Also, since it appears you may have a bit of cash to spend, you should look into a Sick Bike Parts shift kit to make use of that 3 speed Nexus hub.

Link to Sick Bike Parts

Last edited:

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Sorry, I don't want to beat a dead horse but this is a ladies "V" frame. Tubing is round, and the frame style is illustrated here. No bends in frame members, just straight lines, point A to point B.

Attachments

Last edited:

RCinAL

Dec 27, 2009
Alabama
well, by v-frame i meant the way mountain bikes have the v at the bottom of the frame. btw I have a honda ct110 and ride it all over (offroad) and am gonna get an old OHV trail 55 to restore!

-oh and i have a question for you. How well does that nexus hub work? Whats your thoughts on those?
I love dirt bikes and currently have a garage full. If it has 2 wheels and handlebars I'm all about it.

The Nexus hub is SWEET. Unlike the many derailer bikes i've owned, which all had "issues" sooner or later, this Nexus bike has never caused me one second of grief and always shifts as smooth as silk with a tiny "click". It even shifts sitting still. Maybe it is just me, but I can't think of many things in life that have been as aggravating to own as bicycles with derailers. At first I worried about the Nexus being as durable as a derailer, but that is no longer a concern. It has served me well for 4 years now. I am not concerned at all that it will not hold up to being motorized for street use. The biggest drawback I can think of with the Nexus is cost, but it has been worth every penny to me so far. Plus, in my opinion, a bike just looks better without all that "hardware" associated with derailers.

The only bike I ever liked better was my old 1950's Schwinn Typhoon with a 2-speed "kick-back" hub. It didn't even need a cable. You just snapped the peddal backwards to go from 1st to 2nd and back to 1st. Man, they should reintroduce that!

RCinAL

Dec 27, 2009
Alabama
Ok, I've got this "V" frame thing down. And a BIG thanks to all who have responded so far. I need all the help I can get.

The Manic Mechanic engine mount will solve a lot of problems and looks good to boot. Thanks for that tip, Tinkermeister. I'll also check out this Sick Bike Parts shift kit. Gears will be nice if it doesn't break the bank.

What about s m o o o o t h engines? I don't want a "rattle trap". Anybody got a preference?

I usually like owning small 2-strokes better - as long as they are smooth. To me, the inconvenience of mixing gas and an occasional re-ringing is never as big a pain as dealing with regular oil changes. I'll just use expensive oil after break-in - to keep down the smoke - and have 5 gallons ready to go at all times. A 4-stroke is not out of the question, but considering the extra cost, it would have to have some serious advantages other than less noise and smoke, and a bit of longevity to win out.

I really want to research this well and do it right the first time.

Thanks again,

Ralph

RCinAL

Dec 27, 2009
Alabama
Thanks everyone.

The more I learn and think about this particular build, the harder and more expensive it gets.

I hadn't considered brakes. The bike only has a rear coaster brake now and I am finding out that good brakes are an essential part of a quality motorized build. I would definitely need to install a good front brake - and the fat tire, tubular forks, and black rims don't lend themselves to an easy rim brake set up. It also seems that any kind of retrofit disc brake set up would require fabricating and welding a complicated, heavy duty braket onto the chrome fork. This would mean an expensive rechroming of both fork tubes and most likely using another wheel, not to mention buying all the levers, cables, calipers, and other parts. I could easily buy an entire bike and probably even an engine kit for less than the brake mods alone would cost for this bike.

I'm really not up to a lot of fabricating and problem solving and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars or destroy this bike's unique features. Everything about it now screams "style" and "art". It is a head turner just as it is - right down to the 8-ball paint job, which would get covered up by a gas tank.

As much as I hate it, I think I am going to have to consider another, cheaper bike for mounting an engine - maybe something with a steel frame and good brakes already. So it looks like I am now on the hunt for a cheaper bike that better lends itself to this modification.

I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, I am open to suggestions for a good bike to modify that is proven and won't break the bank since I now know I need to buy the engine kit and a bike. I'll be looking for something inexpensive that an engine kit will bolt right into without a lot of fuss.

I'm all ears if anyone knows of something that fits the bill. I am partial to cruisers.

Ralph.