415 chain with a bicycle sprocket?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikewithamotor

Nov 18, 2009
Hope Valley
Hi, I have a little question. I am going to put a smaller rear sprocket on my bike for speed, but a bicycle sprocket is a little thinner than the standard 415 sprocket. Can I use a bicycle sprocket with my 415 chain?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes you can generally use a sprocket with a larger chain than it's made for- with enough clearance. In other words a single speed bike chain will fit on chainwheels and sprockets made for a 3/32" derailleur chain- but of course a derailleur wont work! . But a derailleur chain will not fit on a single speed sprocket.

Same with the 415 chain as opposed to the single speed 1/8 " chain. The 415 will fit on regular bike sprockets (I have a 36 on the back of my motor bike made from a front BMX sprocket), but a 1/8" regular bike chain will not fit a 415 sprocket.

I believe in fact that a narrow sprocket like built for a regular chain, even has a little more side-to-side tolerance then when a 415 motor chain is used- it will take more of an allignment deviation, and the same with a countersunk sprocket with machined narrower teeth.