anyone ever installed pull start?

GoldenMotor.com

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
Just wondering if a pull start added is a good idea? Whats the process? Do I need a wider crank? Is it hard to install? Is it good quality? ect.....

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I haven't gotten one myself yet - but I've looked into it a bunch and near as I can tell the install is as easy as swappin' the cover plate... which is basically all yer doin' lol. There might be some hinkyness with needing a special nut for the clutch wheel - but even then it would be a simple matter.

Clearance IS an issue depending on the height of your install, I've not checked into that as mine will clear NP (sorry no #s) but I've heard... stuff about the "durability" - namely that ya need be somewhat gentle with the thing and not let the recoil just "BANG" back.

But - for $20, who cares? lol I'm being a slacker and jus' waitin' till the snow heh

Glad ya posted this tho - I'm lookin' forward to other ppl's opinions too ;)

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I have installed several.
1. Removed the magneto washers and used loctite.
2. installed star washer on shaft for spacer.
3. Loctite on shsft nut.

Be careful not to start with clutch engaged, plastic pawl is flimsy. Put a pin through the pull handle knot. Pull cord wears out.

PS I buy them three at a time so if one breaks down I'm not out of buissness!

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I have installed several.
1. Removed the magneto washers and used loctite.
2. installed star washer on shaft for spacer.
3. Loctite on shsft nut.

Be careful not to start with clutch engaged, plastic pawl is flimsy. Put a pin through the pull handle knot. Pull cord wears out.

PS I buy them three at a time so if one breaks down I'm not out of buissness!
Witch vendors sell the pull starts other than E-Bay?

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Hello,
The ones we sell at Pirate Cycles require you to use wider cranks due to the thickness of it. This is not the problem with the stretch bikes when the motor is out of the way of course. It is also recommended that you change the rope before installing it. Get one from a tractor supply or sears. The rope that comes on the pull starts are thin and break very easy. Save yourself the time of reinstalling the rope later.
Thanks.. nice post
Justin

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
My engine came with a pullstart and centrifugal clutch. Instead of me buying a wide peddal kit ,I replaced my 8" peddal arms with 5" peddal arms from a exercise bike(but ones from a 20" kids bike might work) and i mounted my engine higher so my peddals will clear the sides of the engine. i had to make a custom front mount(i used a metal braket from a exercise bike). The rope on my pull start works fine(had it for a year),but i had a small metal clip inside the pullstart break,but i took it apart and used a small piece of wire to replace it and it works now,almost as good as new.im lucky it still works and is easy to fix cause there hard to find right now,but i also have the option to peddal start the bike if i need to.

if i had to buy a engine kit again i would have got a regular one cause it would have been easier to install on the bike and i always pull in my clutch when i stop anyway even thou i have a centrifugal clutch too. if anyone gets a pullstart i would reccomend you get a wide peddal kit,its easier in the long run. having the pullstart and centrifugal clutch adds around a 1 1/2" on each side of the engine.

Last edited:

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Justin, I checked your website for the pull starter and didn't seem to find it anywhere on there.
aaronF,
Sorry, They are sold Out at the moment. Not due to a high demand neither. Never reordered them..

new gasbike stuff 014.jpg
Heres the pic.of the ones we normally sell. They only come in silver.

In my own opinion, these pull starts are meant for a jack shafted bike.
The SBP shift kit comes with the wider cranks "Needed".
The SBP shift kits can be started from a dead stop.
The SBP shift kits are very hard to start without the pull start due to the freewheel. Bike keeps rolling when clutch is released. You must pedal against the motor in order for it to fire up! While not reefing on your cranks.

Single speed bikes must be brought up to speed before the clutch is released anyway. You can not start from a stop so to speak.
If you are running a small tire or a large sprocket you can, but thats it.
Thanks,
Justin