Bike Cards

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
K - so it's first thing in the morning and yer on your way to work. Zippin' into the local convenience store ya grab a coffee ana pack o'smokes, tappin' yer foot as the lil ol' lady in front of you buys sixteen lottery tickets... one at a time.

Finally you pay for your breakfast of champions and flee - rounding the corner you see the inevitable flock of gawkers staring at yer bike, waiting to ambush with a thousand questions. Normally you'd love any excuse to gab about your pride and joy, but your boss is growing impatient with your arrival time's gradual entropy.

"Ya-ya-it's great, VROOM!" Isn't always the impression you wanna leave, they love your bike and just want one of there own. Spewing a website address sounds like 001010001 to most folks, I never have a pen and paper handy - and neither do they.

Enter Bike Cards, an idea stolen from the liveaboard community's "Boat Cards" - they would make simple business cards with all the pertinent information and a pic of their boat. These aren't particularly fancy but they get the job done, I'll prolly make shinier ones when I "get the time."

You may wish to include such personals as your full name, email, etc. *shrug* I would rather leave that as a later option, just tellin' the person if I wanna... as there seem to be some strange folks about lol, with that in mind - I left the back blank for scribbled notations.

the latest incarnation;

BTW - if anyone has made these before or decides to make their own, please post 'em - I'd love to see 'em :D

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Noice! So THAT'S where alla new members are coming from! :D

o.o Yer bikes are very shiny BTW, have I mentioned that recently? ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I removed that post cause the picture was too small to see anything. I'll try again later. But I like your cards, Barely. Much more info than mine.
Tom

Edit:
Okay, I resized the pictures. Here's two of the cards I keep with me and give to folks who have questions.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Thats a good idea, I like it. You might have another card givin out at the same time like maybe your business card or something, ya I like it.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Good idea. Not much time to talk to people about your bike at stoplights.
A link or some info on local motorbike laws on your card may also be a good idea.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
That's true, but I'd rather not draw lines in the sand. Maine's laws regarding MBs are pretty generous, if a lil hazy. Better yet the enforcement seems rather casual in my area. The one time I did get pulled over - I think he thought it was a dirtbike and that's why he got excited. He puffed a bit at first, stopped, said "that's a bicycle" and I said "yeah" After discussing the complexities of not needing registration - we just chatted for a while and went our separate ways.

Yet I was doing over 30mph easy when he passed me, stopped and waved me down. One of Maine's laws states quite clearly that a motorized bicycle may not exceed 20mph - so while I could hand him one of these cards, were I to have the laws on them I couldn't.

Or I could earn myself a speeding ticket by forgetting lol :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool BA. Ya gotta come down next yr for one of our get togethers. (CT, ours or a couple in Mass) Great fun. I really enjoy our peace officers.

Thinking about it now, I do not think I have ever heard of a problem in CT, NY or any where in New England that Police have bothered a MBer. (Kool thought)

Be a good idea to site they are legal on a card, not so much to give the details..... lol

Tom, you changed your cards. The jag looks great

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks Dan! I have a soft spot for Connecticut as I spent some childhood years in what used to be a small tobacco farming community there... it's all gone and "developed" now sadly :(

and I agree Tom's new cards look great :D

hellhammered

Jan 23, 2010
Maine
That's true, but I'd rather not draw lines in the sand. Maine's laws regarding MBs are pretty generous, if a lil hazy. Better yet the enforcement seems rather casual in my area. The one time I did get pulled over - I think he thought it was a dirtbike and that's why he got excited. He puffed a bit at first, stopped, said "that's a bicycle" and I said "yeah" After discussing the complexities of not needing registration - we just chatted for a while and went our separate ways.

Yet I was doing over 30mph easy when he passed me, stopped and waved me down. One of Maine's laws states quite clearly that a motorized bicycle may not exceed 20mph - so while I could hand him one of these cards, were I to have the laws on them I couldn't.

Or I could earn myself a speeding ticket by forgetting lol :D

Thanks for the Post! I live in Maine too, I was curious what the law was.
I was just about to check it out with my town. ~hammer

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Gettin' warmer out and so the questions begin again :p

Having long ago run out of bike cards, I jus' threw this together so I'll not be toooo late fer work...

Looks like I do gotta fix that one stripe tho *sigh* Company time FTW (^)

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Cool idea!

Hmm, should we make a standard card proof for people to print out? Like with a b/w pic and motorbicycling.com(for sure), just so people have something for the gawkers? My pc's down for a couple more days(power supply cooked; on laptop), so I'm out for photo-shopping till the weekend. I'll put that on the front burner once I get it going. Sound cool?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sure - w/e you think is cool is doubtlessly cool lol, there's the forum banner I copied & stuck in my first & second cards that by itself would be ossum (tho color ofc), & while obviously a pic of your own bike would be best - I've NP at all if ppl w/o PS would wish to use any of the ones I've posted until a more "generic" one is made.

I think it'd be great if not only a general motorbicycling.com card was provided, but if there was a selection to choose from - I was kinda hoping for something like that when this thread was made... but TBH I kinda forgot about it :oops:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Here's a couple I've been working on, pretty basic but they get the point across I think. I've still got a couple more 'styles' to do, a schwinn, occ, and a 'tracker, oh and something with a 4-stroker. When I'm done I'll put them 12-up so people can print and cut them down.

Can anyone think of any more info to add? Or a style I forgot?

.trk

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here's a couple I've been working on, pretty basic but they get the point across I think. I've still got a couple more 'styles' to do, a schwinn, occ, and a 'tracker, oh and something with a 4-stroker. When I'm done I'll put them 12-up so people can print and cut them down.

.trk
Yea man, how come I don't see any of my bikes on dem cards??? I feel left out....

Jus kiddin....nice job G!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

.trk
very nice but we do not sell or make anything. reads to me that we sell kits and custom parts. love the card design!

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
ahh yea, good point. how about instead of 'kits', and the 'custom parts' just leave cc/mpg/speed, and put something like "Info to get you started"... or something :)