Mounting rear wheel/sprocket first?

GoldenMotor.com

gobiewankenobi

Sep 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Is it necessary to mount the rear wheel with sprocket first or can I mount the engine and everything else before this?
It looks like it could be quite a while before I'm able to mount the rear wheel so I'd like to at least do something in the mean time.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Gobie,

There is no reason why you can't install the entire kit, less the rear wheel sprocket.

I usually mount the sprocket last. Using the kit supplied method of mounting the engine, you don't have any side-to-side adjustment. There are options for aligning the wheel sprocket with the engine.

You don't want to install the sprocket and then discover that it does not align with the engine when you install the chain.

Jim

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
the sprockets I have delt with give you a slight adjustment in or out by flipping it over . So mount it last and only secure it with a few bolts and mount the entire rear wheel assembally back on your bike to see if it lines up to the motor sprocket, or if you need to flip it over to gain some alinement .

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I always mount the sprocket first... I flip the bike upside down & use it as a truing stand for the sprocket.
I do the sprocket first, because it keeps the bike light & easy to work with while the wheel is off.

gobiewankenobi

Sep 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Gobie,

There is no reason why you can't install the entire kit, less the rear wheel sprocket.

I usually mount the sprocket last. Using the kit supplied method of mounting the engine, you don't have any side-to-side adjustment. There are options for aligning the wheel sprocket with the engine.

You don't want to install the sprocket and then discover that it does not align with the engine when you install the chain.

Jim
Jim, does your sprocket adapter provide these options for aligning the sprocket with the engine?

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Excellent!!! Now I'm doubly anxious to get my sprocket and adapter.
Anxious you don't even know how I feel,lol. I'm waiting on a motor mount, 2 sprockets, and 2 sprocket adapters, and a manifold. I can't wait. I have read post about ppl being mad cause they have to wait so long on their order from him,but they need to also think, jim doesn't just pull these from a shelf to send, he has to custom make them to fit. You always have to wait on high quality custom things. I know i will feel alot more safer riding around with his parts on. And not to mention they are great ppl to deal with, real honest ppl. That to me is what is important when spending so much money.

Last edited: