Im using a 26" front wheel and 20" back wheel any suggestions?

GoldenMotor.com

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
For my new build I am going to use a 26" front wheel, and a 20" rear wheel to archieve a "Chopper-Like" effect. Now, the part that really bothers me is; the frame is steel, and I am wondering if I use a 26" wheel in front and 20" in the back will it crack the frame while riding because the front is more elevated than the back? Originally it was this junk bike that I found and on rode, striped it and saved and refurbished the frame. Steel frames are strong so I dont know if putting a 20" wheel on the back would be much of a bad idea.

Here are some pictures of the Primed Frame. What do you think?

Attachments

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I can't see where running a 26" in the front and a 20" in the back would put any extra stress on the frame. Used to do that to old cruisers we'd find in the junk when I was a kid for the exact same reason.

You'll probably have to find a short crank though.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
You shouldn't have any problems with the frame, and a 20 in rear wheel? Put a 34-36 tooth sprocket on that baby and you're gonna have better speeds that most of us.

If you put fenders on it though, you'll want beefier mounting brackets and uprights for it, but other than that, you're ready to fly!

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
For my new build I am going to use a 26" front wheel, and a 20" rear wheel to archieve a "Chopper-Like" effect. Now, the part that really bothers me is; the frame is steel, and I am wondering if I use a 26" wheel in front and 20" in the back will it crack the frame while riding because the front is more elevated than the back? Originally it was this junk bike that I found and on rode, striped it and saved and refurbished the frame. Steel frames are strong so I dont know if putting a 20" wheel on the back would be much of a bad idea.

Here are some pictures of the Primed Frame. What do you think?
what color was the bike...thats a old GT crome moly frame....the GT i used on one of my builds was a hybrid triple butted crome moly frame....its going to take alot to break it...it wasnt a tough build other than the back break...but strong and know vibration...good luck Dennis

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
My first thought was green.
It looks like it will work out fine. I have done similar with excellent results.
I once built a 24" Schwinn MTB frame with a 20" front fork and wheel, and a 12" rear wheel.
i used a 3 piece crank setup off of a child's bike. I think each crank was 3" long.
It was looooow to the ground, but worked well cruising the boardwalk at Mission Beach.

BostonBiker

Sep 4, 2009
Boston
idk if you'll have a similar issue, but on one of my bikes i have a 29" front wheel and 26" back, the steering is odd to say the least. when standing still the front wheel always wants to turn to the side at a 90 degree angle w/ the frame. its fine when riding and makes riding w/ no hands much easier. and that only w/ a 3" diff in wheel sizes... imagine 6".... just my 2 cents... hope it helps..

Blue_griffin

Sep 23, 2009
Sydney
Hi, I'm doing something similar with wheel size too and was wondering what size cog to have on the rear wheel. Ive custom built the frame and ordered the motor kit from zbox but the smallest cog he has is 44 tooth and I'm wondering if thats small enough? or If Im going to go 20ks in a blur then explode!

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
I love it when I see these bikes's in the living room floor! it like they are part of the family.LOL! I've seen pictures where the bike is leaned up against the bed,computer desk,kitchen table,ect.. zpt

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I almost always run wheel mismatches and most of them work out just fine. It will be a little light in the front and should do wheelies. Some of them at the wrong times. Just be careful . Try to get your own weight to help hold the front down. These days I'm going more with the 26" fork and 20" wheel for the swept look. The weight distribution is still off but not so bad.

Last edited: