Ryo's Cafe/Cruiser/hot/ratrod bike thing.

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I can tell you know what to do. Yea I was gonna mention about a compression release. Maybe you still have resolution from the seller w/o shipping cost to you? Ebay is bad usually with practically all sellers initially with shipping back, you generally have to pay. If it is there mistake or a part missing try to contact the seller. They like you to give good reviews, so there is a chance. What did you just plug the threads for the release temporarily?

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
I can tell you know what to do. Yea I was gonna mention about a compression release. Maybe you still have resolution from the seller w/o shipping cost to you? Ebay is bad usually with practically all sellers initially with shipping back, you generally have to pay. If it is there mistake or a part missing try to contact the seller. They like you to give good reviews, so there is a chance. What did you just plug the threads for the release temporarily?
The Head was as pictured in the description. I thought I could make it work knowing it had missing hardware but it's proven to be much more difficult.

Also, please, DO NOT attempt the cable end thing... Didn't even last 2 days.

Ended up having to modify some sort of collar with an allen tight down.

I also made a little alternator with hopes of getting 12v rather than 6v out of the magneto. It's composed of busted transformer parts. I

I've remedied the tensioner problem but I've completely forgot to take a picture. I have one more day of winter break left so I'll do that then.

Also, appearance wise, nothing much will be updated until I can reliably supply 12 volts to run the tachometer and lights.

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
For the cable ends if there of one type, barrel or the other, I have found if it fits and does not bind, I've used them as is.

Soldering maybe is not enough for the parts to adhere to the cable.

I have not tried using MIG weld, probably just too powerful, but a oxy-acettelene tourch set low might work.

There was someone who had used a small foundry with molten metal mold, but that is extravagant.

That set screw in a collar it seems maybe OK. You could put Locktite on the threads of the set screw. I've even seen where threads a bit from the end are intentionally hammered a little to deform. Installing the screw is one time. It usually is bound and cross threaded the last few turns, but never comes out. It is meant to be disposable then. Not good idea for anything needing to be serviced and reused.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If your cable is made of stainless steel solder/lead won't stick to it. No matter how much heat you use. The factory 'swedges' the barrel end on the cable. The lead part is compressed onto the cable with high pressure, not soldered.

Tom

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
For the cable ends if there of one type, barrel or the other, I have found if it fits and does not bind, I've used them as is.

Soldering maybe is not enough for the parts to adhere to the cable.

I have not tried using MIG weld, probably just too powerful, but a oxy-acettelene tourch set low might work.

There was someone who had used a small foundry with molten metal mold, but that is extravagant.

That set screw in a collar it seems maybe OK. You could put Locktite on the threads of the set screw. I've even seen where threads a bit from the end are intentionally hammered a little to deform. Installing the screw is one time. It usually is bound and cross threaded the last few turns, but never comes out. It is meant to be disposable then. Not good idea for anything needing to be serviced and reused.
If your cable is made of stainless steel solder/lead won't stick to it. No matter how much heat you use. The factory 'swedges' the barrel end on the cable. The lead part is compressed onto the cable with high pressure, not soldered.

Tom
Yeah solder thing was a major fail. Learn something new everyday 2 door... Also, the Collar thing has been holding up so far.

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
Series of failures...
I tested the generator today. A whoopin 2 volts AC at a good few rpm above idle. Un-believable... It either had a short somewhere in the coils, making it a big stick of heat, or the stator was too far away from the magneto. which was most likely the case.

Also, I rode around the block and it hauls, but it is noisy, and it vibrates.... It's actually not so bad under load, but it was enough that I had to take the "pedal / limp of shame" because the motor undid 3 nuts (which were, without coincidence, the ONLY nuts without any locking washers or nylock.) on my banana seat, which the rear end was grinded down because of :( I've stitched the seat back up and also bolted the components back on with nylock nuts this time.. Forgot to snap a pic though..

Oh and also, picture of the new tensioner, or rather "chain clearance getter". Picture taken from far away because my welds suck. :p

Last edited:

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
Also, here's a little blooper video, But as a proof that it's up and running. I also don't have a Go-Pro So I can't really do "on-board" videos.

Smoke is most likely because of break-in mixture and Cold start. Hard to notice when you're riding the thing.

https://youtu.be/f4bu5Wnf-ss

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
love this build, i'll have to take some of these ideas to use on my next build. do you have details on how you built your alternator?

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
love this build, i'll have to take some of these ideas to use on my next build. do you have details on how you built your alternator?
Thanks, but I hope you read the part about how the alternator was a whooppin failure :D

Someone on a facebook page suggested to me to modify the pull start mech for the alternator and I'm most likely going to go that route.

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
i did indeed read the part about it being a failure, i was still curious to see how exactly you did yours because maybe just maybe it could work if a few things were tweaked?

so would that just be like a second mag to run lights specifically? that could possibly work. but idk how it'd be hooked to the motor to get it spinning.

TheMotorisedChamp

Jul 26, 2017
Thanks, but I hope you read the part about how the alternator was a whooppin failure :D

Someone on a facebook page suggested to me to modify the pull start mech for the alternator and I'm most likely going to go that route.
Hiya RYO, I'm really really interested in this build, but all the photos beyond the frame being cut for the new forks are not available. Could you possibly send them to me?