Something has to go

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Well winter will be soon upon us. I am down to 3 motorized bicycles but if I am going to do another winter build, something has to go! Problem is I love all three! The 49 roadmaster is my first motorized bicycle build. The BTR/cruiser/w/sidecar is a trophy winner. last winters build is a hot roadster. But how many bikes can one guy ride? This hobby has become a sickness! Think I'll look for a local rehab.

Attachments

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
This is an easy one. Keep 'em.

And if you want to build another, then just do it.

Nothing to be ashamed of. Building and loving these bikes is a good thing.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Not caring about selling a bike is the best way to sell a bike.
It's when you NEED the cash that you end up keeping it forever.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have a similar problem. Don't have the need or the room for a bunch of bikes and I live pretty much on the edge financially, but I don't much want to sell them. Each one is different and each one was like giving birth to something. They're like my kids, kind of.

I put off the idea of selling by another thought that I'd rather give them away to people who I think will appreciate them and maybe hang on to them as something special. And in the mean time I can ride one or another, redo something that occurs to me would be an improvement, keep my family of bike creations together for a time. When I'm no longer able to ride then it is time to do a give away. That's my plan.

Besides, it is my one indulgence. I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, gamble, run with wild women or even tame ones any more. So I give myself permission to play with me motorbikes and in that way be a kid again. Call it my health plan.

Russell,
Those are three handsome bikes, each one a lot different from the other, which I like. I am especially attracted to your second one in the photos, the blue bike with belt drive. I sure do like that one!
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Russ,
I had the same dilemma last fall. Too mnay bikes, not enough room for more but a winter project needed. I solved it by selling one bike to a close friend and neighbor. I get to see and even tinker with that bike regularly and the buyer and I are riding buddys.
Best of both worlds. The bike is still around and I made room for another one.

Good luck and you have some beautiful builds to your credit.

Tom

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
SilverBear,
" I have a similar problem. Don't have the need or the room for a bunch of bikes and I live pretty much on the edge financially, but I don't much want to sell them. Each one is different and each one was like giving birth to something. They're like my kids, kind of "

I had to laugh when I read that. As I went on a motorcycle run last sunday and I rode the BTR/cruiser; 100+ motorcycles and 1 motor bike. Had to play catch up for most of the ride, but was a fun ride.(Vetrans moving wall ride).
Several riders asked to buy my bike and my reply was always the same "you don't sell your children!

Later
Jim

PS: The blue bike with the vari-speed belt drive would have had no problem keeping up with the pack.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I once had to sell two of my OCC builds (no room for new builds), these were not your run of the mill OCC builds. I sold them for just under $700 each on craigslist. Stated the price was firm. As soon as they tried to talk me down I told them "go buy a cheaper build and do not call me back as I will not sell to you at any price"

Both bikes sold; and one I know went to one of the people I told not to call back.

Not caring about selling a bike is the best way to sell a bike.
It's when you NEED the cash that you end up keeping it forever.