The Onyx 29" build

GoldenMotor.com

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Having just bought an Onex and the 29" Mt. Bike, I will just say that the frames are good. The rest of the bikes are................well..............OK but upgrades are always a good thing!! :D
Kinda like the old huffies,,
Great,strong,steel frames,,but junk wheels,and hardware otherwise,,hey upgrading is what this hobby is all about,, at least that's the way I see it.

Well gonna go put a few slow miles on the new build and see how she holds up.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Updating on my build.

I have noticed that the disk brake pad wear out really fast. I already have to replace them. I don't think this brake setup is good enough for constant use. The disk is seeming to hold up well though. I searched the thing that's written on the side of the calipers "F160mm R140mm" and I see 3 hits on "adaptors" so something tells me that this isn't going to be a cheap fix. Maybe I'll just buy some pads for now.

littlefox

Apr 19, 2013
Columbia, SC
I'm new here and trying to follow what you were doing with the onyx. you mentioned using it as a donor bike, so which parts did you use/not use? couldn't you just use the bike as it comes?
i'm quite curious, as i've had my eye on the onyx for a few weeks, and would love to know a way to attach an engine.
thanks!

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I'm new here and trying to follow what you were doing with the onyx. you mentioned using it as a donor bike, so which parts did you use/not use? couldn't you just use the bike as it comes?
i'm quite curious, as i've had my eye on the onyx for a few weeks, and would love to know a way to attach an engine.
thanks!
The motor should just bolt on nice using a custom front mount(not a big deal you can make one out of a muffler clamp)think the rear wheel has some issues with fitting the rag joint but it can be done,,the gas tank mount needs to be customized a little,,and some are saying the handlebars are too big for the controls(throttle and stuff)other than that you may need to make the hole a little bigger in the sprocket so it fits over the dust cover on the hub and put a little Z-bend in the brake arm/plate,,but heck,,go for it!!

If you want a really easy build do a basic mountain bike(older style)with normal size tubes(v frame)and get the kit with the regular front mount,,not the oversize one.I just did a mongoose alta I picked up on CL and it was very straight forward,,only thing I had to do was bend the muffler pipe,,thats it!

Any questions just ask,,thats why we are here to help you through,,I dont know it all but I know some.

Tom :)

littlefox

Apr 19, 2013
Columbia, SC
The motor should just bolt on nice using a custom front mount(not a big deal you can make one out of a muffler clamp)think the rear wheel has some issues with fitting the rag joint but it can be done,,the gas tank mount needs to be customized a little,,and some are saying the handlebars are too big for the controls(throttle and stuff)other than that you may need to make the hole a little bigger in the sprocket so it fits over the dust cover on the hub and put a little Z-bend in the brake arm/plate,,but heck,,go for it!!

If you want a really easy build do a basic mountain bike(older style)with normal size tubes(v frame)and get the kit with the regular front mount,,not the oversize one.I just did a mongoose alta I picked up on CL and it was very straight forward,,only thing I had to do was bend the muffler pipe,,thats it!

Any questions just ask,,thats why we are here to help you through,,I dont know it all but I know some.

Tom :)
haha most of that went completely over my head. are there videos or other threads that describe these things in detail? i've been looking but i'm not sure what i'm looking for...

side note: i googled "old style mountain bike" and this is what showed up.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Here is a list of exactly what I used from each bike

ONYX:The "frame" including; pedals, pedal cover, both fenders, the REAR wheel, almost all the reflectors.

TWO-NINE: I used the front wheel, front shocks disc brake included, Handlebars, AND I used both "handle gear" assemblies I used the right one for the front brake of course and the left I've used for the clutch. Basically the entire from end of the two-nine

Upgraded parts!: I used an old shimano assembly to rig up a "steampunk-choke lever" I also got a glass fuel filter from autozone and it really improves the look of the bike.
I plan on upgrading the "gear shifting" controls for something else. I haven't decided yet, but the choke has crossed my mind and possibly a de-railer for something.

Last edited:

teacee

May 6, 2013
usa
Hello everyone, my first post to this forum, I have been working on my first build and prefer the stock handle bars which are 1" and the throttle and clutch handle assembly do not fit. I purchased a minibike 1: throttle and cable, but I am having a hard time finding an inexpensive clutch handle assembly. Can anyone recommend a website to get one?

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Hello everyone, my first post to this forum, I have been working on my first build and prefer the stock handle bars which are 1" and the throttle and clutch handle assembly do not fit. I purchased a minibike 1: throttle and cable, but I am having a hard time finding an inexpensive clutch handle assembly. Can anyone recommend a website to get one?
You should be able to use just about any brake lever for that,,might just need to get longer bolts or grind out the clamp a little,,should fit.

teacee

May 6, 2013
usa
You should be able to use just about any brake lever for that,,might just need to get longer bolts or grind out the clamp a little,,should fit.
I am looking for the clutch lever not sure if a brake lever would work. The problem is finding a 1" lever. They are pretty expensive on ebay and the cheaper ones are in China, don't want to wait 2-4 weeks.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
you can get locking brake levers that will work for the clutch. like 577 said, you may be able to take off a little material from the 7/8" lever.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I had to replace a flat tire. Everything went back on fine. Had to fine tune the chain tensioner again. Everything is still ok mostly.

I made a couple of adjustments lately;

1)I added an in line glass fuel filter I found at the autoshop in town
2)I added loc-tite to a couple of spokes that rattled off (2 so far)
3)I filed down the idler sprocket that came with the motor to be more smooth. When I fist built the bike the chain would get stuck every once and a while and I noticed it was because the china girls idler sprocket was sharp, and in one spot it was completely square, no wonder the chain caught.
4)I replaced the stock choke with a sprocket i found on an old shimano de-railer

Last edited:

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I made an upgrade that has been needed. I made it so the gear shifter opens up the choke. I never have to use the choke so far, but I thought the upgrade was a pretty common sense idea.

1)I had to install the wire in the shifter first.
2) then I ran it all the way to the carb through the tubing. then I cut the wire a little long.
3)At the very end I frayed the wire and dropped in solder till there was a nice little ball.
4)Lots of adjusting.

Now the shifters setting three is full choke, two is normal, and one is just loose.