Black Ox pedal & sprocket question

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
The Onex bike is here and put together. The 4G motor is on its way from BE.com. The mounting kit picture shows me a sprocket and pedal extension shaft. Can I use the extension shaft and stock sprocket or must I use the kit sprocket? I guess this motor is too wide to clear the pedals? Has anyone put together a HS 49 cc motor with a 4G t drive using the Genesis Onex? Is there a pedal clearance problem?

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
In answer to my own question; yes I do have to use the kit supplied sprocket, shaft, bearings and pedal arms. The bike OEM stuff will not clear. Down side is the pretty chain guard won't fit and the pedal arms have a smaller hole for the pedals so I have to buy new pedals and with the new sprocket the bike OEM chain is too small. In addition to that the cross bar is too big for the tank. It fits over the bar but the studs are too short and right next to the cross bar so a coupler won't fit. If I could remove the studs I could buy some longer studs or some threaded stock and make them. As somebody once said "If it aint one thing its another". But I gotta say this is a nice looking bike.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
So I put it together with the new pedals, new crank, new chain & all and took it for a short pedal ride. Man this thing is hard to pedal. The new sprocket is a 44 tooth thing the back sprocket is 16 tooth. The front I took off was 36 tooth. That gearing and the 29 inch tires gives it some tall gearing. Combine that with the wide pedal spread and it becomes a beast to ride. I sure hope the little 49er has the power to get it rolling on its own. If I have to pump it to get away from a stop it might not happen. In looking at this bike I think a round gas tank mounted behind the seat would make the best looking tank I could use. Finding one for a good price is the hard part.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I simply took two muffler clamps and mounted them on the top tube, then set the tank down and slid the clamps until they were touching the tank studs. A few welds to attach the studs to the clamps finished a quick cheap tank mount.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
Runner I took some pictures with my phone and posting them failed. I have now taken a series of photos with my DSLR and will try that very soon. The bike turned out really nice. Even the guys at the bike shop liked it and they don't like anything with a motor on it (hard core pedal guys)