Belts, chains, and friction drives!

GoldenMotor.com

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
So, I've been on this forum for a few months now, and I haven't seen a whole lot of belt drives... I notice that even a lot of the built from scratch builds use chains instead of belts. Is there a reason? I realize chains have a more direct power and don't slip like belts do, but are belts just the older style of builds? I've seen many homebuilt motorbikes from the 30's and 40's and nearly all of those have belts on them.
I've also noticed the amount of friction drive builds in the non kit section. Most friction drives are made because they're simple to build and use right? I've never built and ridden one and I've been thinking about it lately and was just wondering if you guys had any advice on engines and the likes.

-Kestrel

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Kestrel,
I've built a few DIY v-belt drive bikes over the years & currently am running one now. I converted a DAX friction kit to run a v-belt pulley instead of the roller (5/8" pulley onto 16mm shaft fits snug). I also have a friction drive setup that works equally well. Each drive type has its advantages & disadvantages but I prefer the belt drive due to less friction. I haven't done a chain drive yet but have my cogs turning on a direction to make a slick chain drive setup.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42121
-Lowracer-