First Post

GoldenMotor.com

David Jacalone

Jan 12, 2012
Topinabee
I would like to commute 35 miles once per week - weather providing. I want to build a motorized bike using my '50 Schwinn frame. I would like to go with a 4 stroke, trying to keep the vintage look. Plan on taking my time and learning as I go. This forum seems to be the place.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hello David,
Welcome to the forum. Yes, you're in the right place. I think you're on the right track in going with a 4 stroke. I run both 2 and 4 and find the 4 is smoother, generally more reliable especially for long distance running. Is your commute mostly flat land or is it extremely hilly? It makes a difference in what is a wise choice. My 4 stroke is on a 50 Schwinn Panther. If I can be of any help I'll try to point the way. Is yours a straight bar frame?
SB

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Welcome to the forum!
I am currently building a 4 stroke, although it's on a 2011 Schwinn.
I hope that you enjoy this forum, and we all can see your build in the making.
Have fun, and ride safe!

David Jacalone

Jan 12, 2012
Topinabee
Hello David,
Welcome to the forum. Yes, you're in the right place. I think you're on the right track in going with a 4 stroke. I run both 2 and 4 and find the 4 is smoother, generally more reliable especially for long distance running. Is your commute mostly flat land or is it extremely hilly? It makes a difference in what is a wise choice. My 4 stroke is on a 50 Schwinn Panther. If I can be of any help I'll try to point the way. Is yours a straight bar frame?
SB
Yep, its a '50 straight bar. It is currently a frankenstein with mostly vintage Hawthorne parts. I will need to make it 30 + mph road worthy. Yes, it is hilly at some points (700 ft. total elevation one way). Thanks for the help.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Do you feel like you need to stay at 50cc or are you willing to go a little bigger... say 98cc?
The problem is in having a single speed capable of both 30+ cruising speeds along with hill climbing capability. Depends to on the grade and length of hills... a long steep climb takes either lower gearing (bigger rear sprocket) or more power. A bigger rear sprocket is at the sacrifice of top end cruising speed. How big a guy are you? Will you be pulling a trailer?
SB

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Welcome aboard, DJ,

I'd also agree with the 4 cycle engine for a 35 mile commute.

...and REAL brakes! very important!

WX permitting, my guess is you will ride more than that ! :)
Best
rc

David Jacalone

Jan 12, 2012
Topinabee
Do you feel like you need to stay at 50cc or are you willing to go a little bigger... say 98cc?
The problem is in having a single speed capable of both 30+ cruising speeds along with hill climbing capability. Depends to on the grade and length of hills... a long steep climb takes either lower gearing (bigger rear sprocket) or more power. A bigger rear sprocket is at the sacrifice of top end cruising speed. How big a guy are you? Will you be pulling a trailer?
SB
Thanks for the point of proper gearing. It's mostly long steep gradual hills. The top end isn't so important. I mostly want to enjoy the ride. I mostly have to pack work clothes and tools in my panniers - nothing more than when riding my bike. I weigh about 170.