Needle Bearing FAIL!....... I think.

GoldenMotor.com

bass4life

Sep 23, 2011
Holland, MI
I rode my brand new MB to work for the first time yesterday and the engine failed as I was pulling in the driveway. It sounded like a con rod to me. I took the drive chain off (motor side, just for ease) and pedaled it home that afternoon. I don't have the puller for the sprocket and gear so I can split the cases but, with the jug off, I can see that the needle con rod bearing appears to have self destructed. I was running 16:1, which is recommended for break in, and was really taking it easy on this motor. WOT only seldomly and in short spurts, alternating speeds, not riding too far at once, all that good stuff. No odometer on the bike yet but I had less than 20 miles on the brand new motor. I'm going to try and contact Boy Go Fast (yeah, I bought the kit before I did much reading here) but my expectations are low. I haven't decided yet if I'll get the tools to split the cases or just buy a new bottom end from dax (other suggestions welcome too). Any advice would be helpful. Thanks guys.

bass4life

Sep 23, 2011
Holland, MI
Well, funding ran out for this project before the motor failed on me. This is Michigan, sooooo....... I'm going to spend the winter rebuilding this motor and making a lot of mods I've read about here. All new bolts & studs, better mounting hardware, etc. I'm going to try and balance the crank as well and maybe throw an RT carb kit in the mix. I'm not looking to break any land speed records but I'd like it to run a little more smoothly and be reliable (both relative terms, I know). Are there any upgrade options available for the needle bearings in the con rod?