New from Michigan

GoldenMotor.com

CruzinQueen

Jun 22, 2011
Michigan
Hi everyone!

I'm currently re-inventing a Schwinn Stingray shopper-style bike that I picked up at a garage sale in deplorable condition.

It's got some minor issues:
1) Rust- everywhere! I'm going to take it down to the frame and sand and repaint all components. I'm planning on painting it candy red with silver flames/graphics.

2) Brakes- the mount on the left side rear is broken off at the weld and the entire assembly is missing. I'm probably going to weld a new mount on and go with a cantilever brake in the rear. For the front, I'd like to go with a disk if I can locate a 24" disk-ready wheel. Any suggestions on this is greatly appreciated! (I'm price-sensitive. If I can't find one for an inexpensive price I'm going to get the brake-ready fork for cantilever brakes).

My plan is to install a 49cc engine - my dad's got one and he is willing to make this a father-daughter project. I've always loved bikes and I've always wanted to build a motorized one. The Stingray is such an unusual bike and I look forward to customizing it and getting it back into working order.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
A s.o.s. pad might take all the rust off, I know it looks bad but mine rusted up too and it all came off with a little water and a s.o.s. pad. Some of those bikes didn't have front brakes. Don't ride it without front brakes, good luck.