OK Tavern: when are we going to sober up?

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm disgusted!

i just got back from a ride for coffee and a basket of groceries.

I live on a fairly busy street in Jacksonville, that's meant to be a bikeway besides.

In fact, all last spring and summer, road crews were out digging up the street and putting in sewers, and it was noisy as ****, but the road was closed at night .

When they finally finished this summer, they had very nicely repaved the entire stretch of road I live on- leaving a nice smooth wide bike lane down the sides-

It hasn't been 6 months and it's full of glass and garbage!

It almost seems that those who don't use the lane are INTENTIONALLY trashing it-
a lot of people here apparentrly don't even drive and there seems to be a lot of unemployment-

so what do we do? We defacate in our own beds and roll around in it!
As more and more people here seem to have to depend on bicycles- and it's warm enough to do that often-

some jokers are out there busting their glass bottles all over the place, like Nick Cage in Hollywood! I for one, am really getting sick of the encouragement the "Bad boy" routines get these days.

I just bought and mounted some new tires and expensive thorn tubes- if I punture, I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MY ACTIONS!
.kick2

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
With the latest figures saying that over 1000 people a day move into Florida, it's no wonder you're getting the dregs. I can remember, not that long ago, when Ocala was a sleepy little race horse town with two main streets. The last time I was there, summer of 08, it looked like Miami.
Like every other aspect of life, the more people, the lower the standard of living. At least they repaved the road. Now all you need is for littering laws to be enforced.
Tom

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
We used to have broken glass here a long time ago, When I was a kid, I dumped by bike in the snow and landed on some broken glass cutting my leg. Always remembered that.

A bottle bill was passed requiring a deposit on bottles and the problem went away.
A couple of years ago I noticed plastic water bottles scattered along the road when I went for bike rides.
I contacted a state legslator suggesting a bottle law for plastic bottles.
The guy proposed it and it got enacted.
Presto- I see very few bottles of any kind now. I do see people collecting them (from laying around) to turn them around for money though.
I guess the last thing I would like is a deposit on cigarette butts and coffee cups but that is probably asking too much.
Amazing what a little monetary incentive does.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Florida may be booming, - what place isn't?

but this whole stretch of street is lined with empty apartments- I don't think people can travel as easily these days and professional obligations are more strict- probably fewer "snowbirds" who can afford to migrate for the weather.

I ended up here when I was flooded out in Indiana two years ago.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
We defacate in our own beds and roll around in it!
As more and more people here seem to have to depend on bicycles- and it's warm enough to do that often-
What a visual! laff

Sounds like the song, "Squishin', squishin' the night away!" laff

Seriously though, about all you can do with those yo-yo's is to maybe drop some roofing nails in key locations in an attempt to divert these types away from you.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
That was kinda a universal saying backin the day ('70's) we used to descibe USCF Junior Division riders-

These kids 16-18 year olds would all be staying in some motel room in some distant city at a bike race, and they'd all clean their bikes with the bed sheets and get into all kinds of nonsense- so that was the saying that everyone used to describe them.

I started as a Junior too but only for one season and didn't travel like some of the later ones...

me, in 1968- 8th grade- with my first Schwinn Varsity 10 speed
and in 1970 at our high school race
(^)

Attachments

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Jeez louiseez I have a knack for self-full filling prophesy!

Got a lousy flat today- GLASS!

AND it was the back tire- brand new tire with a THICK new thorn proof tube-
less than ten miles on both-

I'm sick of living in the Animal House! where do people even get the glass these days?
I'm not seeing brown glass much from beer, but my street is covered with clear glass.

This was maybe a mile and a half from home- coming back from coffee- so I was walking- Gotta get a pump I guess and carry a spare-

with such fresh nice rubber I thought I'd be good. I'm sorry now I chose tires with TREAD- the glass just gets wedged in the tread and works itself in- it doesn't puncture a good tire that easily otherwise...

Back in the old days we'd wipe he glass off our sew up tires with our gloves- but it's hard with a throttle and clutch-

A George, and that's all I'll say, had to get in my face walking back like he was waiting for me with two trash talking hoe bags believing I'm missing something there....

I'm NOT Dude! They're YOUR problem now.