How to do it right!

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I finally built my first MB and I could NOT have done it without reading countless posts on things that I would not even think to improve. I got a stinger kit and started by taking of the clutch cover and greasing the gears with white lithium. I put loctite on some of the crankcase screws, then I tightened the headbolts. I bought a Schwinn Riverside ala K-mart as the base. I cut the rear fender and removed the front one to avoid accidents. Attaching the engine was a total pain, but I got it lined up so the plug was centered with the top bar of the frame. I bought a dual pull lever and a B5HS from Pablo, you rock man! and I got some cheap oil that I mixed 20:1 for the first gallon, after that, opti-2. I needed to dent the muffler a little with a hammer to give the pedal clearance but other than that, the engine fit well. I went to a motorcycle shop and got the chain broken but it was still too long. I went to my favorite auto mechanic to get it shortened, oh F! too short. More of a problem, but I had the piece he broke so I ground out the pins with a bench grinder and used two master links. It was pretty easy after that. I filed the teeth of the sprocket for about 3 hours before putting it on to make sure the chain would stay. The tank and controls went on easy, I moved the shifter and clutch to the left side, brake and throttle to the right. The kill switch wired up easy thanks to the great diagram I found here. I got a sigma B509 speedo to make sure I'm abiding the law, and I got a MX helmet and goggles from the local shop. The first ride was AWESOME! and I owe it to all of you! The fellow members of this forum! Your mistakes and advice meant that even though it took nearly 12 hours rather than 2-3 in the instructions, I had a trouble free first ride! Make sure the carb connection and gas tank connection are tight. I had a bit of a leak, but I fixed it with a wrench. I also clipped down the fuel lines with spring clips from napa, 4 for 1.90. and a fuel filter 3.50. My bike is great because of all of the info here, not because I'm any sort of master mechanic. I'll put up pics tonight!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Glad you've taken the advice offered and saved yourself some headaches. Congratulations on a successful build. Now go have fun and ride safe.
Tom