back wheel wobles after 44T sproket is put on.

GoldenMotor.com

bfgmovies

Aug 28, 2010
Statesboro, GA
So I'm almost finished motorizing my bike when I've come in to a major issue, my back tire now wobbles bad and I don't know why that is. After installing the sprocket on the back wheel it and putting the wheel back on it now wobbles so that when i spin the tire it wobbles and presses against the back breaks. I can't figure out why it is doing this, I've made sure everything is tightly screwed back together and I didn't do anything that could have possibly bent the bike wheel. I tried taking the back wheel back off and taking the sprocket off and putting the wheel back on like it used to but it still wobbles bad..

ridingpistonbroke

Oct 28, 2009
Australia
if your rim was already slightly buckled,putting the sprocket on there doesn't really help.
a lot of the new style rims are very cheap especially the spokes.i used an old rim that
was rusted, off a repco bike and it is very strong.if you can get an older wheel i think there better
but if not then a new one. they can be pretty expensive and you get no warranty because
of what we do. bolt it in a star pattern when you tighten the sprocktet and try to tightn
it evenly and leave it. the new rims will bend the spokes,personally i reccomend getting a
good non buckled rim off an older bike with stronger spokes and using that.
as far as i am concerned, once a rim is buckled,its stuffed.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
If its only wobbling a little bit, it just might need 'truing'. A local bike shop can hook you up, or you can try it yourself. You'll need a spoke tool though, usually $5 max.

Check out this article:
Truing Wheels

bfgmovies

Aug 28, 2010
Statesboro, GA
Well it turned out that the rim was bent, but thank God Georgia Southern University fixed bikes for free (well technically it's included in student fees but fin aid pays for that LOL) so they fixed it up in a few hours