Clutch Problems

GoldenMotor.com

aquainas

Sep 9, 2010
Milwaukee
Hey all,

I just recently purchased a 2 stroke skyhawk series 66cc motor and installed it on my bike. I followed the instructions and gave it a break in period and was trying not to overdo things. After about a full tank everything was running smoothly and suddenly the engine stopped getting power.

The engine was running and stopped getting power while the engine continued to run while i was on it (it sounded like if you had your car in neutral and then hit the gas to idle higher). I hit the kill switch and looked everything over and upon further investigation I noticed the nut on the left side (inside the cog where the chain is) had come loose. I tightened it on again, yet the engine no longer starts. I read the clutch thread on here and the pressure plate still moves in and out when I pull the clutch lever. I pushed the bike around a bit (also the right side cover is off now) and noticed the when the pressure plate is in it seems to be slipping causing the big gear on the right side not to get power to turn the smaller one. I figured maybe it was an issue with the flower nut so I tried messing with that for awhile and still no results, though once I tightened it more the engine did cough very brief and shortly (maybe a half second or second) on several occasions as if it would start. I called a friend who also posts on here and he suggested that i submit this question because both he and I could not think of what was going on.

ANY suggestions or ideas to what is wrong is GREATLY appreciated. ANY suggestion on how to fix it is EVEN MORE GREATLY appreciated hahaha.

Thanks!

yendorrodney88

May 5, 2010
campbelltown nsw australia
Hey all,

I just recently purchased a 2 stroke skyhawk series 66cc motor and installed it on my bike. I followed the instructions and gave it a break in period and was trying not to overdo things. After about a full tank everything was running smoothly and suddenly the engine stopped getting power.

The engine was running and stopped getting power while the engine continued to run while i was on it (it sounded like if you had your car in neutral and then hit the gas to idle higher). I hit the kill switch and looked everything over and upon further investigation I noticed the nut on the left side (inside the cog where the chain is) had come loose. I tightened it on again, yet the engine no longer starts. I read the clutch thread on here and the pressure plate still moves in and out when I pull the clutch lever. I pushed the bike around a bit (also the right side cover is off now) and noticed the when the pressure plate is in it seems to be slipping causing the big gear on the right side not to get power to turn the smaller one. I figured maybe it was an issue with the flower nut so I tried messing with that for awhile and still no results, though once I tightened it more the engine did cough very brief and shortly (maybe a half second or second) on several occasions as if it would start. I called a friend who also posts on here and he suggested that i submit this question because both he and I could not think of what was going on.

ANY suggestions or ideas to what is wrong is GREATLY appreciated. ANY suggestion on how to fix it is EVEN MORE GREATLY appreciated hahaha.

Thanks!
Hi Aquainas,you said you had the right side cover off where the cogs are look in the casing and see if there is a half moon shaped piece of metal,if so look up on this site for woodruff key and you will find out how to replace it,it is a common problem for the woodruff key(shaped like a half moon)to come out,yendorrodney88