what is the black plug thing that attaches to the spark plug?

GoldenMotor.com

jowkwondo

Aug 31, 2010
united states
what is the black plug thing that attaches to the spark plug? My is loose and doesn't seem to fit right, but my bike runs fine.

Yeah i know this is a pretty stupid question but i am really new to this stuff.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It's cool - we all gotta start somewhere, it's awesome enough yer startin' ;)

It's a spark plug cap & wire, otherwise known as a plug boot & the stock one is junk. Any ol' replacement outa be fine, the challenge is ya only need one lol Try yer local motorcycle/lawnmower parts store - NGK is a good brand.

The plug wire is usually fine w/a good amount of stranded copper wire in it - simply unscrew the cap from the wire by twisting it counterclockwise while holding the wire tight in yer hand, otherwise it might unscrew frm the mysterious black box on other end :D

Spark plugs usually come w/an adapter nubbin that threads on the end of the plug that goes in the cap - stock China caps don't use the adapter (just the raw threads) nor does the aftermarket NGK caps I've bought, but ya might end up w/a cap that takes it... No big deal, just figured I'd mention it in case ya get a new cap and it doesn't fit the plug right :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
sooo, if my bike works fine, do i need to buy a replacement one?
There's an old rule followed by many mechanics that says..."If it ain't broke...don't fix it"
As long as your bike is running good leave it alone. If you do start to have trouble take the advice offered above and replace the rubber part ( boot) that fits atop the sparkplug with a good automotive quality item. The kit supplied sparkplug wire is better than most you'll find at the auto parts stores so retain it if possible. Just replace the 'boot' with one that will snap onto a standard plug and forget about removing the cap that threads onto the top of the plug.
Tom