Multi gear bike to coaster conversion. (can I keep front gears and chain tensioner?)

GoldenMotor.com

tonytt98

Jun 24, 2009
Cape Coral, FL
Greetings all...

I'm converting a multi gear rear wheel to a coaster break wheel in the back. Can I still keep the existing derailer and chain tensioner setup on it and still be able to use the front gear sprocket for changing gears? Would the chain tensioner jam up if I used the coaster break to stop the bicycle with this kind of setup?

Thanks,
Tony

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Re: Multi gear bike to coaster conversion. (can I keep front gears and chain tensione

If you don't mind backpedaling a revolution to take up the slack hanging down.
And the chain getting buggered up as the top section droops down.

Isn't the coaster chain wider than the multi sprocket deal.
Personally, I like having the xtra gears you currently have.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Re: Multi gear bike to coaster conversion. (can I keep front gears and chain tensione

I was hoping to keep the front derailleur on a Schwinn Traveler 10 speed build, but alas, the motor was in the way once it was mounted. The back is still be okay, and you can move the chain to whichever front sprocket you want by hand.

I'm probably going to have the chain on the smaller inside sprocket and the outer will be like a chain guard otherwise-

But no, a coaster brake cog requires a bigger size chain (3/32" vs.1/8") The wider single speed chain WILL fit on derailleur sprockets in front, but not a freewheel. It would not shift on either deraileur if there was still room for the front one.

tonytt98

Jun 24, 2009
Cape Coral, FL

The rear wheel is going to have an airless tire on it and requires a heavy duty rim. I found this out the hard way when my front wheel folded going around a corner. OUCH!!

I don't have to be able to use the coaster break as I have two shoe break systems. I have tried the smaller chain before on another bike that had a coaster break and it seemed to work fine. My big concern is, some how this chain will jam up in the chain tensioner for some reason and automatically lock the coaster break up at about 35 mph. This would be bad. If there is a way to prevent this from happening then I'm all good. Like I said, I don't need to have the coaster break to stop the bike..

Thanks,
Tony